Masterpiece by 13th century Italian painter Cimabue found in French woman’s kitchen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/masterpiece-by-13th-century-it.html

3 Likes

This is really cool, but as people in the art world in Europe, well aware of the past problems in looted art, like to say… “Wheredayagetitfrom?”

5 Likes

Synchronicity is a weird, weird thing. Until yesterday, I hadn’t heard the name Cimabue, or thought of him at all, for perhaps twenty years. Earlier today, I listened to the audiobook of Frederick Forsyth’s short story “The Art of the Matter” (note: don’t bother, unless you really really like Forsyth), which centers on a forgery scam involving a fake Cimabue. And now this.
The universe knows the secret of comedy: Timing.

5 Likes

I’d love to attend the auction, but only if I can get away with yelling out “I bid one-thousand quatloos”, then immediately run the heck on out of there.

5 Likes

I’ll give you 100,000 self-sealing stem bolts for it!

4 Likes

Looks like being in a kitchen and whatever else it’s been through haven’t been kind to it. I hope they are able to clean it up without damaging it.

1 Like

Quite tantalizing.

1 Like

It’s probably preserved under layers of kitchen grease and cigarette smoke. :smirk:

5 Likes

I was thinking the same. Hopefully there was a decent coat of varnish.

1 Like

With religious art in France, I suspect somebody probably grabbed it from a church during the Revolution.

Note that Compiègne was the site of a Carmelite monastery that was closed down, and the nuns guillotined, during the Terror.

4 Likes

Eucharist? More like escargot, ammirite?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.