Matt Lauer had a button under his desk to lock his office door, according to this detailed report

To paraphrase Chekov: "If there’s a sex toy in the closet of the creepy anchorman in act one…

6 Likes

I know of at least one big law firm office where all the partners have buttons at their desks to close the door. It’s useful if a phone call comes in from a client and they want quiet. But I don’t think those buttons usually LOCK the door, they just close it. I actually suspect Lauer’s button didn’t lock the door, either, and was just misreported.

One of the reports is that he sent a dildo to a co-worker, along with a note describing how he wanted to use it on her. I think that’s what he may be referring to.

2 Likes

Because news rooms handle a lot of material that is time sensitive, secretive, and infuriating. This means that they have a higher than normal need to seal a room, both for source and from crazy people. You don’t want someone missing a red light and accidentally seeing leaked documents or a crazed gunman to easily shoot people.

That definitely has merit, but a bag of dicks doesn’t to me unless it is openly visible or something he constantly brings up in conversation.
Ha, I’m just imagining somebody talking to him and he keeps steering the conversation back to his goody bag.

Stop spoiling my fun! :kissing_heart:

There’s more than one way to interpret that little factoid.

4 Likes
3 Likes

And here’s a guy with an actual bag of dicks.

My guess he was saving them for later because he expected to get hungry sometime after he was found out

In Lauer’s hands, toy = weapon.

It can cut the other way too,

Keeping people out…I guess I can buy that, but why would it be set up so someone inside would be locked in? Seems like that would be a fire code violation and sketchy as hell.

Well maybe this problem is more widespread than 1 host

The automatic mechanism – which engaged a powerful magnet to close the door – locked it so that people outside the office could not enter. Anyone on the inside, however, could open the door without hitting the button, they said.

I do wonder if an active shooter situation was really considered back when it was installed. Is the office a panic room with reinforced walls and a door that’s bullet-proof? (Besides, we all know how to beat it Die Hard-style: Wait until the FBI show up and cut the power. Door lock disengages, enter.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.