Maybe using butane to extract weed oil isn't the best idea

Hashero™?

4 Likes

A quick Google search definitely backs this up. I retract my comment. The anti-legalization groups clearly aren’t doing a very good job. I pay pretty close attention to the ballot initiatives when they come up, and this Boing Boing post is the first time I’ve heard someone raise this particular concern. Usefully people just talk smoking and driving.

If you really need to make your own extract, and you don’t care if it tastes like wheatgrass juice, you can always extract with ethanol (this is based on internet research, not personal experience)

Anyway, as long as me and the Sergeant are both baselessly speculating, I’m going to hypothesize that most of the high-risk amateur chemists weren’t exactly waiting for weed to be legal before commencing experimentation

You truly think so? I call it natural selection. The process itself involves liquefying the butane and thc, then setting your tray of mixture in a hot water bath to evaporate the butane.

Unless you’re using a camp stove to heat water, flame is not part of the equation. And unless you’re off gassing the mixture inside with no ventilation there is no risk of concentrating the butane to dangerous levels.

The newer, preferred method uses co2 instead of butane. This whole article smacks of fearmongering more than anything else.

5 Likes

BHO is great stuff. Leave making it it to the professionals, or for christ sake do it outside. Diamond and Sauce is the next butane product, so watch out for a whole new slew of cases of people being stupid with butane.

If you want the cleanest, safest hash, you want a rosin press. It’s simply an industrial press with heated plates. You load it up, squish it down and you have rosin. No solvents and the taste is exactly what you put in the press. It’s somewhat less efficient and kind of time consuming, but if you are not producing industrial amounts and you are pressing good cannabis, it’s totally worth it.

41CxkMNvx4L

7 Likes

I bet they are into Diamonds now, though - butane is back on the cutting edge.

1 Like

You can drastically improve the quality of this method by making sure you do your extraction quickly at extremely cold temperatures. Store the alcohol and material in a freezer and do everything you can to keep it as cold as possible. You can use a cooler and dry ice for even colder temps. Extract by mixing and shaking for 30 seconds, not much more and filter immediately after. This helps keep the alcohol from dissolving chlorophyll, plant fats and other matter but the cannabinoids still make into to the solution.

The yield will be smaller, but it will be a much higher quality product. Not quite BHO - there’s ALWAYS a bit of a taste to alcohol extracts - but definitely dabbable and quite strong.

4 Likes

Good to know, although for my tastes, just basic weed is pretty much strong enough.

I only started researching the topic because smoking tends to make me cough really bad, so I was reading about making edibles, and once I start researching I tend to read a bit of everything

Since canada legalized it, I’ve had three experiences that I would describe as “pleasant but mild” and one that I’d describe as “a panic attack, followed by fitful sleep and weird dreams”

So. . . still dialing it in

2 Likes

So this guy is a “clandestine lab co-ordinator”

Almost a good band name.

But if these labs are clandestine, won’t they be a tad resistant to being co-ordinated? Or are they in the open and it’s his co-ordinating activity that’s clandestine? Too confusing.

1 Like

Most of my family is Canadian and so I keep up on the news Up There. So while weed is now legal, the extracts and edibles are not (I think that kicks in next year). The worry seems to be that morons are using butane to make their extraction products and are a threat to themselves and others due to lax safety protocols.

I, uh, have a friend who is personally interested in this as he’s been doing a bit of baby steps in that direction (legal in my state, moronically illegal by federal law). He’d love to make some (ahem) enhanced ginger ales or sodas for adults. He tried a few things right off: just soaking the leaves in grain alcohol (not much effect and more difficult to digest, uh, or so my friend tells me). Roasting leaves in the oven at low temp for about 30-40 minutes to deoxycarbolase the material then soaking it in alcohol worked much better, producing a not unpleasant liquor that helps with deep sleep (might also be the alcohol ;`). Using ice baths, dry ice and so on freezes out the oils and such without the same safety concerns (ok, morons will still manage to suffocate themselves with dry ice).

1 Like

For edibles you don’t need to worry so much about chlorophyll and stuff, a regular alcohol extract will do - some people even do “whole plant” extracts for edibles, even extracting from stems and sun leaves.

Careful, though. I literally dab 70% THC hash oils hourly and I’m very careful with edibles. Too much and I can be groggy for days.

3 Likes

I’m the same when it comes to smoking, i hate it and much prefer edibles. I haven’t researched it and done my usual deep dive on the topic because there’s no point because my job does random drug testing and i’d like to stay employed. Hopefully some day i can jump into it though.

1 Like

Bingo.

There are stupid people who will conduct the butane extraction indoors (and worse, on a stovetop) but these are the same demographic who get drunk and fall out of 5 story windows.

There are lots of butane extraction videos on YouTube – some showing how to do it correctly, and others not-so-correctly.

Also, if my neighbors were rendering hash oil in their backyards, I would be less worried than if they were doing explosive science experiments:

(also it helps if you have a HUGE backyard)

4 Likes

Sounds to me like your friend is going about it wrong because leaves have little to no cannabinoids in them.

It’s the flowers you’re after.

CO2 hash is actually garbage and professional extract artists rarely use CO2. your description for BHO is called “open blasting” and is super dangerous and ineffective. Proper BHO is made with a closed loop systems, which range from 2k-50k. It would be nice if BB would make the point that people blow up from using cans of generic butane.

1 Like

Dig your avatar name! Haha

Open blasting is both effective and safe, if you know wtf you’re doing. Is it as effective/efficient as a closed loop system? Of course not.

But doing it outdoors with glass tubing (not PVC) and properly administering hot water baths produces a clean product.

2 Likes

Plus, that kind of flexibility is extremely rare to begin with.

3 Likes

Really, if you don’t want people blowing their homes up doing hash oil extractions then just legalize it already.

My local cannabis store has “Shatterday Saturday” featuring 10% off oil concentrates. (edit) Monday they have 10% off edibles, but they don’t have as cool a moniker.

In bulk, leaves and swag have enough THC in them to make it worthwhile to perform extractions on IF you can’t get your hands on any bud.

2 Likes

This seems more like Seamus’ style:

1 Like

Today was actually a rather historic day, marijuana-wise:the first two recreational pot shops on the East Coast opened in Massachusetts, with their first customer being the mayor of Northampton MA, who bought an edible (to, he says, donate to the local historical society).

3 Likes