Lifehacker presents the 7 deadly sins of smoking weed as a beginner

Originally published at: Lifehacker presents the 7 deadly sins of smoking weed as a beginner | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Excited Lets Go GIF

23 Likes

Would that more harmful recreational drugs had such simple beginners rules
From that stodgy ol’ medical journal Lancet:

11 Likes

“shoulder dancing” it’s a must, don’t let someone talk you out’a it.

pff|nullxnull

17 Likes

LSD’s and mushroom’s “harm to users” is probably mostly stupid shit people have done while high.

15 Likes

‘Being a giggling hippy’ isn’t a public safety issue tho; no matter how much cops would like it to be.

14 Likes

If you take edibles, have actual non-cannabis food on hand to snack on.

The Munchies are a thing.

24 Likes

victims

dangerous

33 Likes

weed might become decriminalized federally (unless the GOP intervenes)

The Biden administration is talking about taking cannabis off Schedule I. That’s something they can do without the help of Congress – indeed, it’s a violation of the Controlled Substances Act that it’s on Schedule I to begin with, since the act is clear that that’s only for very addictive drugs with no therapeutic value (no and no). It was disappointing that the Clinton and Obama administrations didn’t take that action. (Or even Trump – cannabis has bipartisan appeal and could have made the difference for him in 2020.) It’s mildly amazing that ol’ drug warrior Joe is coming through for us.

16 Likes

I’m super sensitive to weed. Like, if I haven’t smoked or eaten it in a week, it hits me almost like a barely threshold acid trip: closed and sometimes open-eyed visuals, auditory distortions and hallucinations, feelings of oneness with the universe and/or revelations of multi-dimensional entities and structures. Even with good set n’ setting, I usually go through a deeply paranoid and panic stage before entering a more relaxing frame of mind.

It’s good medicine. I’ve used it to work through trauma. It has helped me reintegrate my mind and my body. I think if you treat it as a medicine rather than some kind party drug you can get a lot more out of it than a relaxing evening.

Not saying relaxing evening are fucking great, too.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend smoking edibles your first time…

20 Likes

…nor eating a joint, esp one with a tip.

7 Likes

It’s so painful to watch a neophyte taking that first drag like a new vacuum cleaner, get way too much smoke into the irritating bits and gak’n’sputter for 10 minutes.

2 Likes

The beautiful part about this bit is, later in his show he really goes off the rails and ends with this line:

…That’s when I woke up in my hotel room, and I realized there was DEFINITELY weed in that brownie.

4 Likes

This came much too late for Maureen Dowd, who went national with her naivete, eating 16 pieces after ignoring instructions on a private 420 tour. Classic!

5 Likes

huh. we always took big hits back in the day. the coughing was just part of the journey.

3 Likes

With cigarettes, it’s generally 1. draw smoke into your mouth and then 2. inhale.

With weed, don’t do that or you will likely cough A LOT. For weed, inhale directly into your lungs (skipping past step 1 right to step 2). And start with very small inhalations.

That’s my experience, anyway; good luck and godspeed.

2 Likes

Everyone is different, but THC does virtually nothing on / for me. :person_shrugging:

I get sort of sleepy, so I can personally recommend it as a sleep aid, but I was truly shocked after listening to decades of movies and songs raving about the drug how… mild… it was. I’ve tried edibles, vaping, sublingual in dosages from 5mg up to 50mg. I was like, where is this fun drug experience I was promised in movies and songs?

(CBD alone – and I bought ultra-concentrated liquid versions for testing – had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever, but I wish more people knew that CBD will cause “the grapefruit effect” if you are taking other medications, so be careful.)

Anyway, my big takeaway is that it’s crazy THC was heavily criminalized for so long, it’s clearly an extremely safe drug, to the point of (for me) not even being that interesting as a drug… so for all the people that THC helps, thank goodness we’re finally legalizing something useful, helpful, and safe. We just need the rest of the states to get on board:

And yeah if you haven’t tried THC, might as well. Maybe it’ll work for you. It certainly won’t hurt you. Start at a low dose, of course…

8 Likes

My BF decided to start buying tipped cones, after purchasing pre-rolls at dispensaries around town. I gen’lly fill 'em w/a card and tamp it down as I go, using a bamboo poker thingie.

Those are V good and inexpensive.

I’ve tried a couple different cone-filling doohickeys, and this one’s the most amusing:

It can be used to fill 1-6 cones at a time, which astonishes guests.

I see they’re now making 'em in bamboo 'steada plastic! Fantabulosa!

This one even comes w/a card like mine & a bamboo poker-y thing, too.

It still blows my mind that we can visit a dispensary and purchase marijuana. We’ve rarely been disappointed by our purchases, but I’m increasingly annoyed that apparently no one in Detroit is growing nor selling Jamaican ganja. WTAF?

8 Likes

imma have to look for that Raw bamboo cone roller. i use their straight “cigarette roller” now, but do enjoy the straighter-burning cone doobs.
fun aside: i worked with the good folks at Raw to design the packaging for their herb grinders - the box design, not the graphics printed on it.

6 Likes