Lifehacker presents the 7 deadly sins of smoking weed as a beginner

Looks like the cheapest price for the bamboo six shooter is around $35, for 1.25 and king sizes. They’re on amazon and ebay. Those cones I posted above come from amazon. ebay has 'em, but there are only two listings, both risibly priced.

It’s really cool that you designed that packaging for Raw! :smiley: /applauds

LOL My mom sold lids for $10 in the late 60s, but it was always great stuff. Ppl raved about the weed and the price, telling her they’d been paying twice as much for pot that wasn’t half as good.

I rolled by hand for ages, then a friend decided to start acting like a dick and made fun of the pregnant Js I created. I decided it was time to start using a machine - they’re faster, too.

Said friend then decided to be a dick in public re: my machine-rolled Js. “Machine rolled joints have no soul!” First I told him to fuck off. That cracked up everybody. Then I told him I started using a machine partly b/c he’d made fun of my pregnant joints. A few minutes later, he came to a seed in the joint, and told me I did a lousy job of cleaning my weed. I just stared at him and said, “If you didn’t sell such seed-y shit, that wouldn’t happen!” which again cracked up everyone, including him. He replied, “Touché.” tophat-biggrin

6 Likes

I find edibles make me very thirsty. Beer isn’t a great choice for dealing with this.

5 Likes

Seconding this advice! I learned the, well I wouldn’t call it the “hard” way, but the borderline psychedelic way. When you eat a pot brownie and get the munchies and the only thing to eat is the rest of the pot brownies, things can get pretty weird!

11 Likes

That dovetails neatly with how my buddy Matt and I made fuck all money from chocolate hash cookies one time but got super fucking high…

11 Likes

That sounds like a fun story :joy:
I legit thought the list was going to be things like, “remember, it’s a joint, not a microphone.”

6 Likes

No Bogart-ing!

7 Likes

Old heads will take a deep hit and hold it in as long as possible. This is probably pointless; most of the chemicals that get you high are absorbed instantly upon hitting your lungs. Any extra high you get from holding in smoke likely comes from lightheadedness. So take it in your lungs and let it out easy like Sunday morning.

I guess I’m an old head, because I definitely get higher holding it in. But this idea that you don’t have to hold it in at all, and still get the full effect, seems to be getting more and more popular. It seems this idea got started with some sciency studies in 1989 and 1991 which tested it out. I suspect scientific reductionism somewhere along the way, but I can only find abstracts of the studies, not full text.

I have heard the theory that the high-inducing stuff is more volatile than the tars and other unwanted components, but never seen any evidence (e.g. particle sizes of psychoactive vs nonpsychoactive).

How can the surface of the lung instantaneously absorb something it’s not presently in contact with? It would take time for the particles suspended in the air to migrate over to the lung surface.

I could imagine a temperature effect, where the hotter smoke is absorbed more quickly, and as the smoke cools in the lungs it doesn’t hit as hard. But that pretty much negates the proclaimed health benefits since hotter is generally recognized as more harmful to the lungs.

Perhaps not holding hits is becoming popular because it is a justification for newbies who have never inhaled to not have to learn to do so.

Stoner myth or fact?

2 Likes

Another tip: think twice about growing your own.

Source:

9 Likes

Roll up a small piece of cardboard, perhaps a small piece torn off the cover of the papers or a match pack, and poke it in one end. Don’t light that end.

4 Likes

Obligs:

Word; known to us partakers as ‘a crutch!’

They even make prerolled cones with the crutch already included these days:

6 Likes

For some of us, just being “accepted” to be able to smoke was difficult enough (until we went away to college). For example, I looked like Sam from Freaks and Geeks past the age of 18. Getting a hold of some weed was near to impossible.

freaks and geeks whatever GIF

5 Likes

Hey, we have them in Quebec too!

I’ll have to grab a pack tomorrow and try them out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

5 Likes

In Italy they ask you if you’ve been eating roasted chicken (sticky fingers, obv) if you forget to pass.

4 Likes

Pete Davidson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

We live and learn. Now that “holding the toke” has been dispelled, I guess I can stop trying to keep myself from coughing. I’m a thrifty consumer when it comes to pot and did not want to release just to absorb the last microgram of funstuff. Thanks, Science!

My mom, less than a month from 80, finally got curious about THC and CBD. Here in Illinois recreational has been legal a couple years. I didn’t want to freak her out ahead of her first gummy, but I told her to make sure either my sis or I sit with her. Those gummies sneak up on you, even me, a regular smoker. Reminds me of Paul Gilmartin’s bit about smoking with his parents: Bob & Tom Smoking Pot With Parents.wmv - YouTube

3 Likes

No, man, I’m a vegetarian. Why do you ask?
pineapple express smoking GIF

2 Likes

David Nutt is on our side. He lost a UK government job for not following authoritarian orthodoxy.

The latest home secretary now wants to make cannabis a class A drug based on no credible scientific data.

2 Likes

I did. :slight_smile:

First lesson learned; tamp early and often. I waited too long on the first one and ended up with a bit of a floppy bottom.

2 Likes