McDonald's goes after Starbucks with new CosMc's coffeeshop

Originally published at: McDonald's goes after Starbucks with new CosMc's coffeeshop | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m not a big fan but I do hope that if CosMc’s succeeds, they serve Egg McMuffins and Hash Brown all day. I’d be loving that.

I dunno. I’d rather give my money to local businesses here in TX instead, i do sometimes frequent some chains like Taco Bell and the like but for the most part i do try to patronize local businesses when i can afford to do so

14 Likes

So, overpriced swill that needs to be covered up with as much fat and sugar as will go in the cup? That tracks.

13 Likes

I have no idea whether they’ll achieve whatever consumer sentiment objectives are required to succeed; but Starbucks honestly seems like kind of a soft target for McDonalds in terms of pure execution: their coffee hype has always been substantially better than their coffee actually is; and their pastries and sandwiches and stuff have always been bafflingly bad even by the standards of places where it has obviously been prefabbed and shipped in.

6 Likes

McDonalds coffee is significantly better than Starbucks, as well as significantly cheaper, so this might actually be fairly successful.

10 Likes

Starbucks coffee is terrible- and lower price options for a place to grab a cuppa and hangout are needed.

But - Cos? That’s usually associated with Bill Cosby - bad branding.

7 Likes

Sausage McMuffin with Egg

6 Likes

Starbucks could hit McD back by putting in soft serve ice cream machines that work.

11 Likes

“What would happen if a McDonald’s character from the 1980s that was part alien, part surfer, part robot — what would happen if this character were to open a restaurant in 2023?”

What? Someone should remind this CEO there’s also such a thing as too much imagination.

The branding looks like it’s meant to evoke mid-century googie diner styling, the kind of coffee shop that was a natural “third place” for budget-minded people during the height of post-war prosperity. The designers put in all that effort for a solid concept and then the CEO tries to sell it to investors with this incoherent Poochie nonsense?

9 Likes

Oh jeezus, I’m having a flashback to the creation of “Poochie” on the Simpsons.

“I think he needs to be ‘rastafied’ by ohhh. . . ten percent.”

9 Likes

You owe me a Coke (not a Pepsi – this is McDonald’s we’re talking about).

2 Likes

I live in a city that has 5-10 independent coffee roasters. I don’t go to Starbucks or any national chain for coffee. Plus I never liked Starbucks so I’m not the target audience.

2 Likes

Looks like they’ve got weed and MidJourney up in the C-suite again…

5 Likes

lol no

1 Like

Oh sure, the world needs (checks notes) more coffee shops. Sure. But yes, if they also offered some of their breakfast foods all day long, I might be inclined to grab and go on my next long road trip.

1 Like

I’m also made me think of something George Lucas would have come up with for the prequels.

1 Like

Ditto. I only go to local coffee shops.

Here’s part of their “coffee” offering. Kill me now.

8 Likes

Yea, I read that three times. WTF does all that even mean??

4 Likes

Yup, the Charbucks here ( at a university ) usually has a mile long lineup and people aren’t there buying actual coffee, most students are just buying the sweet frothy things topped with whipped cream. I guess some Staff and Faculty might actually buy a coffee but the majority are getting anything with a ton of sugar in it.

3 Likes

So more malt shop than coffee shop. Maybe the concept isn’t so solid after all. Maybe it deserves Poochie.

7 Likes