McMansion built on wrong lot

Sounds like they paid no interest in the build of their house at all. No site visits? No progress-checking? What a right pair of twats.

2 Likes

I’m not sure a site visit would have made any difference - the surveyors marked the lots incorrectly, so as far as everybody was concerned, the house was being built on the correct lot. It was only when a third surveying company came in later that the error was noticed. And when you are building like these people seem to be building (they have 18 lots in the development), this is when you have to delegate and trust the people that you hire to do their jobs correctly.

Like they weren’t going to accidentally walk in after mistaking for their own at some point anyways…

A mighty fine workshop could be built for this kind of money, including the furnishing. And people waste that cash on my-house-is-bigger-than-your-house dick length comparisons…

2 Likes

You must be new here.

2 Likes

anyone ever see that John Candy flick Summer Rental?

1 Like

That’ll all be under water soon enough anyway…

4 Likes

Give it a few more years of warming.

2 Likes

I always tell people that’s my dream house: A nicely restored vintage Airstream adjacent to a 30,000 square foot workshop.

6 Likes

Now, I realize that it’s poorly-worded and confusing, but if you squint just right, the sentence “Voss, the buyer, visited the construction site several times” does seem to suggest a tiny degree of interest on the owner’s part.

2 Likes

Fortunately, this was built as a rental property by a couple who own a real estate and property management firm. In other words, a business investment. I guess that makes it a “my business is bigger than your business” dick length comparison.

Somebody has to buy that house if the investment is good for something. The length comparison is the buyer’s issue, which is what I meant. The investor/builder just provides the house that wouldn’t sell without the demand side.

We are both right.

They must not have invented the notion of vacation rentals where you live. Or you still haven’t RTFA.

Or was too tired to remember it properly (mea culpa, just winging it all at this hour). A variant “my rental is bigger than yours” still can work.

I’m not clear on what’s “stupendously ugly” about it. Unless you’re working on the “large and expensive = tasteless” principle, in which case I grant that it’s unsavory, but “ugly” isn’t really the right word.

But surveyors are expected to know how to survey. There should be markers, in the ground.

Ugly: unpleasant or repulsive, especially in appearance.

No, I think that sums it up pretty much perfectly. The box like dimensions, the twin dual garages flanking the faux tuscan columns, the choice in colour. The entire thing has been designed by someone with no taste, no imagination and no class. It’s ugly as sin.

I don’t think I feel sorry for anyone in this story. The builders will likely get off scot free, they don’t seem to be in the wrong. The surveyors will get sued, and rightly so, they screwed up. The guy that owns the house (but not the lot!) sounds like he has far more money than any individual rightfully should anyway. The guy that had his lot built on is clearly going to be the big winner here when he sues for more than he deserves.

I think the big lesson here is that land developers shouldn’t be bulldozing and removing all the natural features of a landscape when they’re first getting lots ready for subdivision. The utter eradication of the existing ecology is not a pre-requesit for building houses, but for some reason large scale developers always seem to think it is. Once the ground has been entirely flattened, all shrubs, trees, distinguishing rocks, etc have been removed it’s not really surprising that surveyors stuff up from time to time. It’s harder to measure where things should be on a blank canvas, than it is on a canvas with at least something on it.

5 Likes

Everybody has different tastes. I personally wouldn’t buy that house (although $680k for a 5300 sq ft beachfront house is pretty cheap by the standards of where I live, my 40% smaller non-beachfront suburban house would sell for about that much in the current real estate market here), but I’m not going to make a value judgment on somebody (no class?) because of their taste in architecture.

2 Likes

I won’t judge everybody by their taste in architecture, but I will judge an architect by their taste in architecture. I will also make judgements about the sort of people that choose to live in gated communities. Gated communities are pretty much the antithesis of a healthy society. They’re quite literally about keeping “others” out.

The $680k figure was for the build. The land was another $160k and of course if you’re a developer you’re not building to break even so I’m sure they were hoping to sell for at least a tidy $1million. Sure it’s a bloody big house for a million, but McMansions are pretty renowned for being built cheaply (and this looks like it has been).

3 Likes

At least in the case of this house, it’s a vacation property. I don’t really have an issue with vacation rentals being in gated communities, but I understand where you’re coming from.