Medical historian explores how the science of repeated head injuries was established, and then forgotten

Originally published at: Medical historian explores how the science of repeated head injuries was established, and then forgotten | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Interesting! This is the science denial playbook. It’s the exact same set of tactics employed by tobacco and now climate change deniers to muddy the waters and sow doubt to delay action in their own financial interest. I didn’t know it was happening with CTE, but I sure recognize that playbook. I would’t be surprised if the NFL is employing the same consultants for this, as oil companies have employed the same ones who handled tobacco. Literally the same companies and people to do the same work.

What those people do should be illegal because it gets a lot of people killed in the end.

19 Likes

Another example of how unregulated capitalism is bad for society.

On a separate note, is it me or does the illustration look an awful lot like Jordan Peterson? (It would explain a lot if he had CTE…)

3 Likes

If we have to wait until we’ve finished working out the correlation between brain and mind in detail the glorious sport of headbrick should be safe for centuries.

4 Likes

Why not? There’s a solid argument to be made that your average sports fan simply doesn’t have enough influence to bear more than rather diffuse responsibility for a system that grinds up athletes’ bodies for the amusement of the crowd; but diffuse responsibility and innocence are substantially different states.

2 Likes

… because of head injuries?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.