Medieval book opens six ways, revealing six different texts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/09/dos-a-dos-x6.html

10 Likes

While I question the practicality of this particular binding style, the coolness of the object is off the scale!

13 Likes

31 Likes

Anything like a centerfold in it?

5 Likes

Love the cover, the content less so.

Might be the perfect format for a Game of Thrones collector’s set, particularly if it’s an anthropodermic binding…

4 Likes

It would make a great D&D mcguffin, especially if you needed a separate key for each of the six texts in the book

13 Likes

If anyone like me can’t see clearly how it was done the article has more pics, including this one which makes it easier to see the orientation of the layers.

19 Likes

“Klaatu… verata… n… Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle.”

14 Likes

Came for the nerdgasm biblio boner, stayed for the antheopodermic bibliopegy (books bound in human skin).

This is truly a wonderful thing, even the hinges are blacksmithed… oh man, I am in love with every part of this

5 Likes

So this was the inspiration for the Monty Python three sided record? AKA The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief album.

5 Likes

Probably a Bible.

Surely you’ve heard of 6 ways to Sunday?

11 Likes

I’m STILL trying to wrap my head around the structure, and I DO bookbinding. It’s pretty inventive, and the edge decoration is lovely too.

12 Likes

There is a book artist in the U.S. who does Gothic binding (wood covers; literally “boards” in bookbinding parlance). He; cuts down and mills the lumber for the covers, hunts the deer to make the leather for the ties and uses the antlers for some of the attachments, smiths the metal attachments, makes the paper, and his wife grows the flax which she spins into linen thread to bind the book.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Link please! Who is this? I must hand him my life savings now

2 Likes

I can’t find a website for him, but his name is Jim Croft, and he’s featured in a book called “The Penland book of handmade books” (which has some other amazing artists in it too). He does workshops around the U.S. apparently;
https://bookprintmfa.uarts.edu/faculty/jim-croft/

5 Likes

The 1550s was hardly medieval. Granted, science-wise they hadn’t plucked the fruit of the Enlightenment yet but the seeds were being planted throughout the Renaissance thanks to printing, Martin Luther and a growing middle class. Bookbinding, even having been around for a few hundred years, still played its part in the “cool, neato” stages of the informational arts. Oddly enough, there are quite a few parallels from 1500 (the birth of printing) and Y2K (the internet takes off).

5 Likes

You think the cover looks cool, just wait till you see what’s inside:
https://www.perturb.org/content/foldin/

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to make a hexaflexagon work as a book basis, fill it with a conlang. No luck yet, but this is sure neat.

4 Likes

Hexaflexolang who now? Kids these days with their new fangled words!

3 Likes