Medieval book opens six ways, revealing six different texts

It seems a little over the top for my Babylon 5 slashfic, but I’m in.

3 Likes

It’s a hexaflexalexicon.

9 Likes

For instance, the mutli-tab browser.

13 Likes

From the bottom of @OWYAC’s link is http://www.traditionalhand.com/
which in fact takes you by internet magic (which I can’t decide whether it’s cool or dodgy) to:

The workshops sound amazing.

I especially love the map here:

2 Likes

When you finally discover the 7th, hidden way to open the book…

12 Likes

https://www.oglaf.com/ragtrade/

16 Likes

giphy

11 Likes

You’ve reminded me that in elementary school my class had a project to write and draw and bind a book. It was awesome, and one of the few school art projects I actually enjoyed.

The embarrassing thing is that I can’t even remember which teacher had us do it, much less her name.

1 Like

For the ebook version, you have to hold the tablet just so to get to parts of it.

5 Likes

…while pressing the correct button combination. Which varies from tablet to tablet.

3 Likes

really REALLY hoping you’re joking… and I feel really old, having made those thingies way back in high school. Do they even still sell adding machine paper rolls?

3 Likes

really REALLY hoping you’re joking…

I’m sorry to dash your hopes, but I had no idea that’s what those things are called.

Also, I never learned how to build them and I’m bitter to this day. Stupid hexaflexagons and braided plastic friendship bracelets. Who needs friends…

5 Likes

Hexaflexagon! Been around since 1939. Probably previously on Boing Boing: http://vihart.com/hexaflexagons/

It’s an unusual way to stack and nest triangles. The hexagonal aspect was attractive to me because the culture that went with the conlang has an obsession with sixty (six tens; base-60 counting and numerals; other things). But ordering is an issue I’ve not figured out yet.

Stealing this.

3 Likes

Did you guys go to the OP?

If you did, why on earth did none of you celebrate this before: “Put the book in the sun, place a stylus on the cover, and it will tell you what time it is.”?

Holy mother of books, this is the cherry on top of the cream on a piece of cake to die for.

Consider me deeply impressed by the thing and the whole of the thing. I have used 15th century text during my studies (praise to the national library of Austria which handed me out those texts!). Something on that scale of craftsmanship I never encountered, I never knew even existed.

9 Likes

Surprisingly underused in a literary context, apart from Piers Anthony’s “Ox”.

5 Likes

If memory serves (and it may not), that might be my second exposure to the hexaflexagon.

The first was this book I had acquired from a discard pile from a school library back in the early 80s, Mathematical Models—I think, anyway. I know I still have that book, but it’s in a pile of books I call our library which I haven’t cleaned up yet after that earthquake we had.

1 Like

“Richard P. Feynman, a graduate student in physics.”

Gosh, I wonder whatever happened to that guy? :wink:

2 Likes

Early modern is the commonly agreed upon terminology… but of course, this is only looking back in hindsight that we label that era as such.

2 Likes

I do like living each day during this most modern of times!
Everything is always state of the art…

1 Like

If it’s someone’s horcrux, then there should be a seventh way to open it.

2 Likes