Medieval people bathed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/04/old-stank-overrated.html

8 Likes

brb on the way to the medieval bath house.

20 Likes

House-house-md-572789_640_480

15 Likes

Sorry, I get all my Medieval history from Monty Python:

25 Likes

Is that a poem specifically for asses?

8 Likes

Yes. It was a very niche bath house.

10 Likes

6 Likes

IIRC, the 17th century was probably the stinkiest in Europe. Both before and after people washed themselves more.

6 Likes

iimage

21 Likes

They didn’t know that they were dirty because it was so dark?

9 Likes

Thanks. I remember being told in high school history, I thought it was during the dark ages, that people didn’tbwash. But they’d sprinkle perfume to.compensate. I thought it didn’t help when the plague came along, the fleas finding a warm place among dirty bodies.

Now I don’t know if it was a specific time period, or myth, snd it’s too latebto go back 45 years to check.

3 Likes

The Dark-but-not-because-they-were-dirty Ages.

7 Likes

Interesting blog, with some pretty strong opinions. I liked this explanation for why we learn so much about Rome and so little about Medieval times:

12 Likes

I always considered our times being much closer to the Roman era than to Medieval times. Relations with money, world, religion, philosophy… Reading the classical The Autumn of the Middle ages confirmed my opinion. Those people were aliens, yet aliens we descend from.

2 Likes

It’s a typo, it should have read ass-poem.

4 Likes

That brings up so many more questions.

2 Likes

There was this story passed down in my family from the Revolutionary War that the Native warriors could smell the English and Americans coming from a mile away which gave the Natives a tactical advantage.

I suppose that even if the European soldiers bathed, they would then put their heavy wool uniforms back on … the same uniforms they’d wear year round in sweltering heat and freezing muddy cold. Worse than a Disneyland Mickey Mouse costume. No dry cleaning.

10 Likes

“(by which they meant, “patronizing co-ed bathhouses where orgies took place”

Padre - please keep believing that can’t take place in segregated bathhouses.

Also - that pick is from a SoCal Renaissance Faire.

8 Likes
9 Likes

Depends…

13 Likes