Meditators can switch off their consciousness on demand, new study reveals

Originally published at: Meditators can turn off consciousness on demand

3 Likes

For some reason my brain refuses to read this title as “meditators” and swaps in “mediators.” I found it plausible that, during mediation, when one side drones on endlessly, the mediator is able to shut off their brain to avoid dying of boredom.

23 Likes

In a zendo I was taught that the moment right before you sneeze is a completely thought-free zone, and meditation is very similar to that moment. Your results may vary.

8 Likes

That… actually happened to a friend of mine, or to the mediator hired to negotiate her break up. She went in thinking it would be pretty quick, and easy, and it ended up taking 9 hours. At one point the mediator came in and asked if he always droned on like that…

8 Likes

By what mechanism are they able to turn their consciousness back on?

4 Likes

When you meditate, inevitably something breaks into your awareness. If you have cats, this will probably be their role in such affairs. Some people, seeing you sitting calmly with your eyes closed and obviously taking a moment, will walk up to you and start talking. Sometimes, it’s an itch, or a mosquito, or some loud or unexpected noise, or the sudden realization that you need to do something or go somewhere, sometimes your body says “hey, you need to pee.”

Mostly, for me at home, it’s cats.

19 Likes

Is that related to the fact that if you sneeze, cough and burp (and optionally fart) at the same time, you will die?

3 Likes

Spectral analyses of the EEG data surrounding cessations showed that these events were marked by a large-scale alpha-power decrease

That must be why alpha guys don’t meditate /s

1 Like

I want to go to there.

I’ve taken a few stabs at (what I think was) meditation, but it never feels particularly good, it rarely makes me calm…I just don’t get enough out of it to keep trying beyond a few days. But I really, really want what it’s promising.

On the other hand, I’ve been journalling at least 5 days a week for years, and get a real sense of calm and clarity from that. I got that benefit immediately, so I tried to make it a habit by doing it every day for a month, and now it’s been 14 years. So it’s not like I can’t do anything meditative. But I have always wanted to ‘get’ meditation, and I would love this kind of ability to switch off.

Does anyone who maybe started out ‘not good’ at meditating, stick with it long enough to get the benefits? Any pointers for me?

3 Likes

For me it’s not “turning my thoughts off”, which is impossible, it’s not judging yourself when thoughts intrude but merely noting it without blame or interest and returning to your focus (breath or whatever it is). That has a fairly quick benefit for anxiety and sleeplessness I think.

It doesn’t make me enlightened in any way though.

8 Likes

I expect it’s similar to a computer’s automatic reboot.

I think that’s a good metaphor even, for how meditation can help free the brain and mind of non-vital processes that kept running. It can clear threads and free up RAM. Or at least, offer a break from processes that were continuing to run unasked at times when they would be less helpful. And also help identify those processes for future review, when they come back online.

“have you tried turning off and turning on again?”

3 Likes

In a world where Chrump and Musk exist, this is a valuable skill.

Ha, nobody starts off good a meditating. Just pick a time, a technique, and have at it on a regular basis – doesn’t have to be daily, just some time scheduled and set aside, no more than 15 minutes or so at first, and do it. (This actually works for doing most new things, honestly.)

The method I use when particularly agitated is single note meditation – sort of like the “om” technique you’ve probably seen on TV, but instead of pretending there’s something mystical about a particular sound, just pick an easy to sing note and focus on singing or humming that one note while otherwise relaxing. This helps focus the mind on something that isn’t the troubles and worries of the moment, creates a steady noise that drones out some distractions, helps control and slow down breathing without having to think about controlling breath, and helps the meditator to ease into a deeper meditative state. Even a soft note barely audible to anyone not sitting right next to you can be very loud in your own ears, don’t go all opera singer unless you have understanding, or deaf, neighbors.

4 Likes

Yes, I really think a disservice is done by those who talk of meditation as having an empty mind. I have meditated long enough (multiple 10 day retreats) to know that rarely happens. Most of the time the practice is more like gentle whack a mole, with thoughts constantly appearing and being let go of.

I take some comfort in this study saying that loss of consciousness only lasts a few seconds even for those who have attained this ability.

2 Likes

That’s essentially what your brain does every time you wake from sleep.

1 Like

Counterpoint:

3 Likes

@averyfine ive changed my mind. It is now empty.

That totally worked.

3 Likes

Holy moly, I never heard that! I can’t tell you how many times I must have come close to dying! :dizzy_face:

I could totally see that. I get a similar “tingly brain” feeling right before laughing a big laugh. It’s similar to the feeling right before falling asleep.
I used to be able to fall asleep at a moment’s notice by recreating that feeling when I needed a 10-minute nap and only had 13 minutes to work with.

4 Likes

They get really hungry… or develop a strong urge to go to the bathroom. :wink: