Employees who practice mindfulness meditation are less motivated, having realized the futility of their jobs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/17/tune-in-turn-on-slack-off.html

4 Likes

Serenity NOW!

9 Likes

24 Likes

Is it really being “less motivated” when one realizes it’s just a bullshit job? Mindfulness and meaningful motivation can go a long way to getting a lot of positive things done. Of course, so can 4 pots of coffee and a good dose of Vitamin K. Just some thoughts to meditate upon. Namaste.

12 Likes

The study did also reveal a small correlation with attempts to commit computer-assisted fraud “like in Superman III”.

4 Likes

A company I worked for did some sort of team-building/motivation thing where we had to go away for 30 minutes to contemplate stuff. I contemplated how much I hated my boss, and my job, and left the job soon after. I think we were supposed to contemplate how we could help the shareholders get more money. Oops.

33 Likes

When I first read the headline I thought it was a Borowitz article.

7 Likes

As long as they keep pretending to pay me I’ll keep pretending I’m working.

15 Likes

I don’t necessarily meditate, but I find the more I know the less important anything seems.

17 Likes

Great, another “team building” workplace group-think waste of time. Is it because company fire-walking or survival camps turned out to be such an insurance nightmare?

Insisting on this crap for employees amounts to religious workplace harassment. (Many meditation groups are fronts for cults like TM, EST/Landmark or starter guru-wannabees.)

And it’s not right for everyone.

19 Likes

Haha. This would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

5 Likes

Does it also decrease the motivation of the people whose job is to promote such woo as “mindfulness”? If so, problem solved!

2 Likes

I suspect that they tend to be proselytizing zealots (or make a buck on it), so no.

Send in the AI to do or unsatisfactory jobs…

Employees Citizens of North Korea who practice mindfulness meditation are less motivated, having realized the futility of their jobs lives

Well, it almost works for anything else.

Ah, Schadenfreude! Idiot management-types and their “Hey! This’ll make 'em think we care!” bs failing again. Love it.

But, someone please tell the author of the piece that these things are meant to be morale boosters, not moral boosters.

1 Like

I wonder how it would work for people in highly vocational jobs. Like, say, nurses. If fear it could be used to squeeze even more hours for their already crazy schedule, though.

Not precisely on point, but it reminded me of this Onion article.

24 Likes

Who woud have thought that focusing on the present would lead to not focusing on the future, or the past, for that matter.

Anxiety is living in the future, and depression and living in the past.

Live now.

And yeah, that’s not going to be best for someone elses bottom line.

8 Likes

Exactly. The only thing meditation motivates me to do is take a nap. The best way to motivate workers is with a monetary incentive. The incentive payment should be a fraction of the increased revenue, but too many miserly business owners/managers cannot wrap their brains around that concept.

5 Likes