Meet the Texan billionaires buying up the state's political machinery

Originally published at: Meet the Texan billionaires buying up the state's political machinery | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I think maybe you should stop saying ‘conservative legislation’ and start saying ‘oppressive legislation’.

13 Likes

So like a garage sale on the Titanic…

3 Likes

Seliger and I have butted heads on other things, but he’s not wrong. He’s not running for re-election, so that may be why he’s speaking-out now.

3 Likes

Seliger used to be our legislator. He had plenty of opinions I disagreed with, but he’s a hell of a lot more sensible than most Texas Republicans. He cares about good, responsible government, which is a rarity in Republicans all over the country, not just in Texas. Of course, the rest of the Republicans in the Lege and the executive branch despise him.

4 Likes

(Also, some of the links in the post are bollixed…)

Billionaires don’t already own it?

4 Likes

Capitalism is incompatible with democracy.

8 Likes

Someone said that having a billion+ dollars was the socio-economic equivalent of having a nuclear weapon, and I really can’t argue with that. Neither should be in individual hands, and if one of those things does end up in someone’s hands, it’s the sign that things have gone terribly wrong.

13 Likes

Not these Billionaires. I guess; other Billionaires.

1 Like

It looks like the Wilkes push their version of Christianity on others, pretty much MAGA theology: People are wealthy or powerful because God has rewarded them for their righteousness with wealth and power. The path to salvation is therefore to be wealthy, powerful or serve the wealthy and powerful. Poverty is a result of laziness. Helping the poor merely reinforces such laziness.

4 Likes

More like ram it down people’s throats with a stick.

5 Likes

That’s not unusual.
Guess why we can’t seem to get meaningful campaign finance reform enacted in this country.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that is in the Texas Constitution.

FTFY

And it’s all perfectly legal…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.