Meet the WWI women who pretended to be rocks for the war effort

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett.

9 Likes

I think it is a geology pun… but it is possible Monty Python is in there somewhere.

1 Like

It’s something called “dazzle” camouflage. It was used on a ship to make it difficult to determine the the range, speed and bearing of the vessel when looking at through, say, a periscope. As I recall, women from the Royal Academy in London painted different designs on miniature models, which were then viewed through through a periscope to test their effectiveness.

3 Likes

Thank you, after reading the first two replies I wanted to cry.

3 Likes

You see? I had faith in the BBS readers, although perhaps I should not take them for granite.

10 Likes

Of quartz you shouldn’t.

6 Likes

Only if you replied to the wrong comment.

1 Like

Uncle Sam wants you… to get stoned in the park.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Clearly the camouflage worked, because that is actually a biplane.

… actually an infantryman?

… actually a woman on a rock?

I got nothing.

5 Likes

The NY “camouflage scene” actually started in the village when students of Meisner were hiding from Strasberg’s students.

1 Like

The comment knows how not to be seen.

2 Likes

I norite?

2 Likes

Brilliant misdirection. The Kaiser was so busy planning a naval invasion of Union Park that he didn’t notice the concrete foundations of his war bunker were actually American women.

3 Likes

Sorry; I phrased that badly: I am familiar with dazzle camouflage. Thanks anyway!

As part of the First World War commemorations in Liverpool, Sir Peter Blake painted one of the Mersey Ferries in his version of dazzle camouflage:

You win :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I that is razzle dazzle camouflage.

Speaking of camo, I love this pattern. Sort of sci-fi looking.

They come in all sorts of colors.

invisible when placed before a Hundertwasser building

though he neither designed harbours nor the water surface

4 Likes

We get the pun, but the unintended (?) second meaning is that the women in the photos are indeed dressed as Manhattan Schist, one of the main components comprising the geology of Van Cortland Park.

4 Likes

When it comes to spotting geology puns, I reckon most people here picrite.

4 Likes