Mental health of black people harmed by police murders of unarmed black people, says medical research

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/22/from-the-obvious-files-mental.html

9 Likes

25 Likes

You can file this one under ‘no shit’:

In the era of Donny Two Burgers, everything get files there.

11 Likes

Gee wiz, someone get these researchers a Nobel prize

5 Likes

In the age of climate science denial, I am not optimistic about the universal acceptance of these results.

11 Likes

Another fine research project funded by the Maximegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Surprisingly Obvious.

7 Likes

To be sure, the mental health of white people is not helped by these circumstances, but entitlement, bigotry, head-in the sand anti-intellectual cluelessness are not the sort of things considered a problem in the age of Trump, those are considered benefits!

8 Likes

Exactly, NO SHIT!

1 Like

Man, next they’re going to say that systemic cultural and institutional racism negatively impacts people’s mental health. And, you know, physical health.

[I’m reminded of the controversy over research back in the '80s when an academic dared to suggest that the high maternal mortality rate of African-American women was significantly due to racism on the part of health care providers. (And the huge backlash to the suggestion - that involved threats, demands to fire her, etc.) Turns out, after 30 years of subsequent research that, yep, when you eliminate all other factors, the poor healthcare outcomes are still there. In other words, yes it’s racism and how could anyone doubt it in the first fucking place.]

13 Likes

I live 3 blocks up in East Pittsburgh, the neighborhood where a young black man was shot in the back by a cop 3 times a few days ago.
Pretty much ground zero in it.

The people Ive talked to here in the rallies prove this is true.

7 Likes

RIP poor Antwon Rose.

12 Likes

These studies, though the results may seem yawnfully obvious, are important. Because, science? Reparations lawsuits require evidence. So do insurers who might cover mental health care. Check out The Justice Study by the Do No Harm coalition of doctors at UCSF Medical Center.

8 Likes

And the released the driver citing a lack of evidence. Yup, shot in the back for running and not enough evidence for an arrest.

Breaking:

5 Likes

Charged, great.

I’ll get excited when there’s a conviction on the books…

4 Likes

It’s a nasty business trying to predict how the psychos of the world will willfully misinterpret and hand-wave results like these, but my money is on “Or is their mental health harmed by everyone TALKING and COMPLAINING about this FAKE NEWS. Maybe their mental health is hurt by ALL the CRIMINALS in their neighborhood that the brave police HAVE TO SHOOT! or maybe they are all upset because the CRIMINAL was their FRIEND or DRUG DEALER because they are all CRIMINALS anyway”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.