Meta VR upgrade preview may be "a motion captured lie", but at least meta-Zuckerberg now has legs

Originally published at: Meta VR upgrade preview may be "a motion captured lie", but at least meta-Zuckerberg now has legs | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“A motion-captured lie;” pretty much Zuckerberg in a nutshell. Sorry, this is not the most productive tweet, so feel free to remove.

10 Likes

Again, with the limitless possibilities of VR, why set these demos in the most bland setting? that looked like a shitty rendering of a talk show set poorly aping a living room. Is that…the extent of their imagination?

11 Likes

In some ways its a good thing that Meta can keep some level of enthusiasm for VR from consumers but you know… it’s Meta/Facebook. I don’t own any VR gear but if i was going to buy a set it would not be with anything affiliated to Facebook

2 Likes

As I remember the other day Microsoft Office 365 was the launch partner touted in the announcement for the new $1500 VR headset. It’s just what they are.

11 Likes

If you give their avatars legs, as well as the attached pelvis, you are just going to have them start thrusting and tea bagging other avatars.

The internet is horrible.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Even the people working on the Metaverse aren’t enthusiastic about it.

4 Likes

If most users really wanted to get up and walk around and interact with each other in a three-dimensional environment they probably wouldn’t be spending so much time online in the first place.

Even a stroll around a boring-ass industrial park is a more stimulating sensory experience than the best VR.

2 Likes

The Playstation cutscene-graphics Zuckerberg still looks more human than the glassy-eyed real version.

3 Likes

While Meta Horizons is obvioulsy extremely dull, I wouldn’t generalize to all VR experiences.
Recently I’ve been playing Half Life 2 in VR and it’s absolutely amazing. I also had lots of fun playing VRchat with friends, especially game and horror worlds.

I bought HP Reverb G2 instead of Oculus Quest 2 exactly for this reason. Quest 2 required mandatory Facebook account and it was unacceptable for me. Recently Meta is forcing mandatory Horizons profiles on all Quest 2 users.

6 Likes

Sure but using VR to put oneself into a fantasy/gaming experience is very different than VR for VR’s sake as the Metaverse appears to be.

If I want to fight mutants or ride a dragon or whatever then there aren’t many ways to do that outside a video game. If I want to chat with online acquaintances or watch a powerpoint presentation or do some online shopping then a VR interface is just going to create annoying barriers rather than enhance the experience.

6 Likes

Ah, so then a shitty rendering of a bloated appset, aping Google docs…

1 Like

what about if you need to access files to stop a dinosaur attack?

5 Likes

I bring up this scene every time I teach a UI design class. (“For the love of God JUST SWITCH TO COLUMN VIEW”)

5 Likes

And/or this:

6 Likes

I believe that is now just Microsoft 365. They just dropped the Office branding because no one likes Office (at least that’s why I assume they did)

1 Like

Oh good. The thing nobody wants just got an update.

2 Likes

I wanted the meta Zuckerberg to evolve into a fish

1 Like

The biggest lie is that this platform has any legs.

5 Likes