Meth-smoking white supremacist was able to buy tons of assault rifles despite felony record

I’m not sure what to think about this. Everything that happened was already illegal, and it still happened. Every society has criminals. In the United States, we have those criminals plus a whole lotta guns floating around. I’m not sure that piling more laws on top of the existing laws will make it any more difficult for criminals to get guns.

Here’s a blip from the NIJ: “Surveys of offenders have found that they prefer newer, high-quality guns and may steal or borrow them; most, however, acquire guns “off the street” through the illicit gun market.”
http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/Pages/aquired.aspx

That market cannot be regulated.

This ‘neighbour’ built his cottage 4 feet onto the crown land and blocked a squatters path. Well the fur flew on that one thanks too my Uncle CWO McNeil as it linked our own cottages on that island. Never tick off a military Scottish Quarter Master.

So, let’s ban private sales then.

I mean, you can’t sell alcohol unless you’re a “licensed dealer” so to speak, and if there’s a massive black market in unlicensed alcohol sales, that’s news to me. (Straw purchasing, OTOH, is still a pretty big problem, especially in college towns…)

1 Like

my sarcasm is in response to the inanity of the arguments coming from the second amendment zombies, who are unwilling to even LOOK for their ass, much less find it with both hands. my point was that you are wasting your time on people who are going to plug their ears and babble about how people used incorrect language in describing a certain weapon rather than even considering looking for a reasonable method to prevent criminals and known psychopaths from acquiring firearms. because the constitution.

i’ll be sure to be much more direct in my responses. sorry.

2 Likes

but there’s no way to enforce the law. the internet sellers are going to be flipping guns tomorrow. they were flipping guns today. i guess we could go ask them if they sold any guns to felons. can you guess their answer?

no, they’re making money, and “garsh, i had no idea” is all they need to come up with.

1 Like

Prolly meant armslist

I don’t think you understand the definition of what a poster child is.

Driving drunk should be illegal.

Owning a car and alcohol shouldn’t be.

People still sell guns - and sex and other stuff the shouldn’t - on craigslist. They just make the ad and it is usually up for a short while before someone finds and flags it.

And while I don’t condone felons owning guns, I think one should note the guy wasn’t doing anything illegal with it (that is, robbing someone, shooting up some thing, etc)

driving a car is illegal, unless you have a license and insurance for the car. at least on “roads”.

why the hell didn’t the founders put cars in the constitution, anyway?

it’s almost as if they didn’t exist. almost like semiautomatic rifles.

2 Likes

OTOH, the title of this article could just have easily been “white supremacist manages to buy meth, even though its against the law”…
Instead, my cold medicine is shitty, and i have to show ID and be closely monitored to buy it. Meanwhile, the cartels are just making meth out of something else.

Now apply that logic to rifles, cigarettes, transfats, alcohol, 3d printing, etc., and you’ll understand why some people are loathe to even go down the path of “limiting access” to any number of personal diversions. It’s usually the first step in hyperbole-crazed legislation that makes something all but illegal.

Its almost like a law CAN’T solve every problem in the world.

nothing illegal except smoking meth and shooting illegally owned guns, you mean.

2 Likes

really? “the cartels”? the cartels deal predominately in grass. take two is cocaine. you think crystal meth comes from mexico?

Also unmentioned in the Constitution: income taxes, the internet, abortion, federally subsidized healthcare, funding for the arts, the FCC…

The list goes on and on. Can we assume you’re in favor of banning all those things as well?

1 Like

“banning”

hyperbole. where did i mention banning anything? that’s an easy strawman, though, you’re forgiven.

Marijuana is a loss for smugglers: too bulky to easily transport and too easy to detect.
Of course a smuggling organization prefers coke, heroin, meth, etc that can be adulterated after importation.

I see. You were trying to make a point, just doing a lousy job of it.

up to two thirds of the pot in the US is coming from mexico. it’s been the major import for many years.

http://www.fronterasdesk.org/content/where-does-pot-come-domestic-growers-or-mexican-cartels

feel free to google for more.

1 Like

ooohh, never mind. the constitution thing. yeah, that wasn’t “trying to make a point”, that was snark. apparently i’m bad at that. how about this:

“apparently the writers of the constitution never assumed that there would be cars, (cars, meaning automobiles) and thus never wrote cars into the constitutuon. this was fail, (meaning potentially, and eventually, ineffective), because the authors of the constitution should have seen cars coming, and also should have written them into the constitution. the authors of the constitution should also have written about laws for cars, assuming they might exist at some point, and require basic responsibility for the ownership and use of a car, becauase a car (again, meaning an automobile, such as a “prius” or a “VW bug”) is a potentially dangerous item, which requires some manner of social responsibility regulated by law. this regulation must occur because such dangerous items might at some point infringe upon another person’s rights to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” (noted as a positive in the declaration of independence) and thus be the purview of the government in order to maintain a comfortable and effective social order.”

Have you considered trying meth? It seems to speed things up.

semi-automatic [action] assault rifle [style body] is how I always parsed it, but hey, maybe the view from your high horse is more accurate?