A gentleman asks guys at his gym to borrow their guns for a robbery, but his plan backfires

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/28/gentleman-asks-guys-at-his-gym.html

5 Likes

Somewhat off topic, but how the fuck is meth a Schedule II drug and weed (and psilocybin, LSD, etc.) deemed to be more dangerous as a Schedule I substance?

11 Likes

Even if the gun owners didn’t care about the prospect of their weapons being used in the commission of a crime, why would anyone loan ANYTHING to a guy whose stated plan was to rip people off and disappear forever?

21 Likes

an honest thief? i didn’t think that was possible.

5 Likes

“Hey bros, can I borrow your guns so I can rob someone and skip town? I’ll tooooootally bring them back. Pinky swear”.

15 Likes

That $100 could have bought a bus ticket. The meth could have made the bus ride bearable. (Probably. I dunno. I don’t meth.)

5 Likes

Narcoleptics. Approved medical use.

What I want to know, though, is why one robber needs multiple guns. Does that increase the chances of a successful robbery?

5 Likes

See? It’s not just Florida. He may have been planning to go to Florida, but the Fates didn’t have his back. Better luck next time, Louisiana Man.

If you’re going to ask for one gun to commit a crime, you may as well ask for two. Be bold.

7 Likes

Hippies…

9 Likes

“borrow”

9 Likes

Well…

…they didn’t.

1 Like

You could technically receive a prescription for methamphetamine, even though it has a high possibility for abuse and addiction. There’s not enough difference between the illegal, home-made crystal meth and the legal, pharmaceutical grade tablet to create a new schedule for it.

Weed, psilocybin, and LSD cannot legally be prescribed in any form, so they are schedule I drugs.

4 Likes

The successful robbery part is, he was going to steal their guns.
Brilliant!

4 Likes

The drug Schedules aren’t about “what’s more dangerous.”

Schedule 1 drugs have “high potential for abuse” and “no approved medical use.”

Schedule II drugs may have very high potential for abuse, but they do have approved medical uses.

Some of the most dangerous drugs are Schedule II because, even though they’re hideously addictive and dangerously easy to OD on with life-threatening consequences, they’re still medically useful drugs that can be prescribed under limited circumstances.

Heroin is an opiate on Schedule I because it has no approved medical use. Fentanyl is a far, far more dangerous opiate that nevertheless is useful for (f’rex) controlling breakthrough pain in cancer patients, when less-dangerous opiates like morphine or oxycodone can no longer control the pain.

“Dangerous and has no legitimate purpose” is a different regulatory regime from “Dangerous but very useful medical drug.”

And the drug Schedules are about assigning substances to the appropriate regulatory regime, not “which one is most dangerous when abused?”

(And, yeah, even with that understanding, it’s still ridiculous to place cannabis on Schedule I.

But be careful what you wish for - reclassifying cannabis as Sched.II would place it under the same regulations as prescription drugs like oxycodone and morphine and the like.

As someone who occasionally needs to fill a legitimate oxy prescriscription, that’s a way bigger PITA than dropping by the local weed dispensary.)

5 Likes

This is only one of many recent BB stories that could be summarised as “mock the stupid lower-class criminal, celebrate the authorities who apprehended him”.

Given the racist/classist/murderous nature of American policing and society, is the promotion of stories such as these a wise thing to be doing? Is this the appropriate time and place for the celebration of authority?

It doesn’t matter whether or not the alleged criminal is guilty; I’m talking about broad social factors here, not individual cases. The existence of individual offenders does not excuse the promotion of a structurally unjust system.

Related:

6 Likes

GUH?
Have you somehow missed the last 3 decades of medical marijuana news?
It is now available by prescription in 47 of 50 states.

2 Likes

Perhaps I was too oblique in leaving out the contemporary findings from Johns Hopkins and EU labs showing clear evidence of medically beneficial uses for the drugs I’d listed.

3 Likes

What is your delimiter between reporting a story and “promoting a story” ?

1 Like

States have nothing to do with scheduling drugs. That is all on the feds, and federally weed is still schedule I and “no recognized medical use.” Logical? No. Feds. Ah, now it makes sense!

11 Likes

If you remove the “mock the criminal” aspect, would this be a story of more than hyper-local significance?

There is no intent to inform here; it was posted as entertainment.

6 Likes