Mexican auto insurance for tourists

[Permalink]

2 Likes

All of this is true.

I have two fond memories of the Mexican police. First, my grandather (born/raised there – he’s Mexican as they get) arguing with a cop. Cop really wanted a bribe. My grandfather would have none of that, and begged the cop to either let him go or write the ticket. After a good 30 minutes, the cop realized he was wasting his time.

The other was when my great uncle and I launched a rented VW bug at a railroad crossing in the middle of nowhere. He gave me the “slow down” signal (he was parked by the crossing) but it was too late - we got some air. He must have been really confused to see me (21 and obviously not from Mexico) and my crazy uncle who spoke perfect Spanish with a perfect British accent. Miraculously we did not damage the vehicle and he let us go on our merry way to nowhere.

3 Likes

I haven’t checked but I am pretty sure my Australian car insurance doesn’t cover me in Indonesia or New Zealand and I am surprised anybody would assume otherwise.

2 Likes

Merica!

6 Likes

I am told, by people who actually lived there for a decade (though it was decades ago…) that in the American city of Chicago:

If, when pulled over by a police officer and asked to present your driver license and vehicle registration (this was way before mandatory insurance laws) there “just happened” to be a folded $20 bill sandwiched between those two items, that the result was always a verbal warning and nothing more.

The $20 bill never came back, however…

Because there isnt an ocean between the two. Also it’s not true of Canada.

Lastly don’t rent a car in Mexico and take it into Belize or Guatemala. It’s against the rental agreement you could end up in a heap of trouble.

2 Likes

Being from Alaska I was wondering about car insurance and Canada as I drive through it at least once every few years. I’ll have to look into it a little more and then if you are covered in Canada why wouldn’t you be covered in Mexico?

…I’m off to Google!

So much for NAFTA, then. You can’t have free trade without free movement within the free trade zone, and you can’t have free movement if you need to do paperwork to cross a border. There are reasons why the EU, which really is a free trade zone, has a great many rules and regulations, such as the one specifiying that you can’t sell car insurance in the EU unless it’s valid across the entire EU.

2 Likes

ISTR somebody telling me that the Mexican border agents wouldn’t let them into Mexico without comprehensive insurance (not just liability) Which you can’t easily get for an older car. So there was a little business on the border selling paperwork which LOOKED like a rider policy for comprehensive insurance in Mexico. It had the words in the contract that the authorities were looking for but they were quit up front that it guaranteed NOTHING and wouldn’t pay you anything in case of an accident.

My policy covers driving in Canada and I never sought a supplement to do so. I’m guessing that the EU causes all car insurance to cover all car travel within the EU. Not an insane thought at all.

but understand, if you have to make a claim against said insurance? expect 6-9 months of wait and wait.

most of these thieves/sanctioned by government companies I mean, are a US company agenting the policies through a mexican company.

I LOVE Baja, I spend as much time there as I can. Usually on a motorcycle. - this summer a pal of mine decided to ‘test’ the Mexican Insurance by destroying his bike.

it is a long, difficult PITA to make a claim, and get it paid out.

and? there is NOTHING< absolutely NOTHING you can do to have a backup plan, better company, etc…

But? back to your point, yes, if you go to Mex, buy Mexican insurance.

1 Like

I knew someone who had their new car stolen in Baja. It took a few months and another trip down to find a local lawyer who could bribe the police to make a report, but they did finally get relief.

1 Like

I think I have to defend the “Mericans” who think this is supposed to work…

It’s perfectly reasonable to assume that when countries manage to agree to international treaties to mutually recognize their drivers licenses, they can also make their insurances work together.

For most European and some surrounding countries, there has been a system in place since 1949 that makes car insurance mostly “just work” across borders. This got started with UN help long before the EU got involved.

In fact, I could start driving right now. After about 48 hours of driving (according to Google; not counting any breaks), I’d be in Tehran. And if I crashed into somebody’s car there, my insurance would pay for the damage.
(The only problem is that I don’t currently own a car, but that can change).

There is a similar system in place between Arabian countries, and maybe in other regions as well.

3 Likes

Exactly. And before 9/11 the formalities of Americans going to either Canada or Mexico were minimal – you didn’t even need a passport (just photo id), and the only place where there were significant customs checks was returning to the US from Mexico (because of fears of smuggling drugs or humans into the US).

1 Like

FTFY :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.