Michael Connelly's imaginary Blue Note albums

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/05/michael-connellys-imaginary.html

3 Likes

I really like some of the design. But too many of the photos are blase and don’t really work. Flat angles, too tight or too loose, and/or just plain uninteresting.

The show is very worthwhile, some of the best cop TV out there: realistic, no chest-thumping, just good detective work. The computer guys don’t decrypt things in 5 minutes, the labs have backups… They’re doing serial storytelling better than anybody: yes, it’s based on a novel or two per season, and it’s paced like reading a novel in that things build tension over episodes, as well as within episodes. The only TV doing storytelling as well? Middle-seasons of Game of Thrones, and Picard. (I like Mandalorian a lot, but the storytelling is more episodic and pulpy. good for what it is, but not as good as this).

5 Likes

(or maybe its this one)

8 Likes

Art_big_beat

5 Likes

Horace Parlan

4 Likes

Thanks for the comment - Yeah, this is something artists run into on a regular basis. There are a limited amount of reference images available, and many of them are earmarked for the exclusive use of publications, websites, etc. Too often we have tomake do with what’s available.
Out of curiosity, which images appeal to you the least?

4 Likes

Yep! Those are absolutely the influences and inspirations - except for the last one, which is in itself an homage.
The original album is entitled “Speakin’ My Piece” and it’s by the Horace Parlan Quintet. (Blue Note 84043, for anyone interested.)

4 Likes

Harry Bosch is the role Titus Welliver was born to play

3 Likes

I do love me some Bosch. Can’t tell you how many times I put the book down and YouTubed his latest jazz selection mention.
Usually I like it, and I leave it playing while I keep reading.

One of the best things about streaming shows are these large story arcs that take an entire season to complete. Normal TV, in general, doesn’t have that luxury. They have to worry about the drop-in viewer or somebody that missed an episode.

Have read every one of the books since the early '00s, but never really gave the TV show a second thought until last year - hoo boy does it suck you in! Ended up binging the whole lot in a couple of weeks. The latest series is a real slow burn, so good!

Can’t wait for the writers to incorporate some of the other characters (esp. Mickey Haller) into the shows.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.