Michael Gambon — Harry Potter's Prof. Dumbledore — has died at 82

Originally published at: Michael Gambon — Harry Potter's Prof. Dumbledore — has died at 82 | Boing Boing

2 Likes

another of his biggest roles as the psoriasis-ridden sleuth in the 1980s hit series “The Singing Detective.”

That’s the role I’ll remember him for. Dennis Potter gave him an incredible script and he just ran with it.

16 Likes

Aye, as far as Potters are concerned: his association with Harry is certainly well-known, but his work with Dennis is the stuff that’s really worth seeking out.

13 Likes

I loved him in the Doctor Who version of “ A Christmas Carol”—will have to revisit that one this holiday season.

6 Likes

Top Gear named a corner of their test track for him, after he put their “Reasonably Priced Car” in the air cutting that corner.

9 Likes

He played a decent Maigret, too.

Looking through his IMDB history, it appears he was in a Russell Hoban story, Turtle Diary along with Glenda Jackson and Ben Kingsley. I should check that one out.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Not to forget his central role in The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover as well.

7 Likes

“You little button-eater!”

@tinman

2 Likes

Old TopGear named a turn on their test track after him after his famous “Star in a reasonably priced car” session.

5 Likes

The Singing Detective is the weirdest and greatest TV ever.

4 Likes

… he plays a terminally ill nature photographer on the arctic horror series Fortitude

It may be a coincidence that Gambon is in the first season and that the other two aren’t very good, but then again it may not be :polar_bear:

3 Likes

Now you’ve fired my interest. I’ve only read one Russell Hoban book - Riddley Walker - and it blew my mind. Turtle Diary doesn’t sound anything like that, but I trust any author who can make Riddley Walker work.

1 Like

I don’t think there will be much similarity, where Turtle Diary is described as a comedy/romance. But yes, he was a talented writer (though Harold Pinter adapted it), and I’m gonna try to stream it in a couple of days.

Not even one Frances the Badger story, or The Mouse and His Child?

9780064434515_p0_v2_s550x406-2021151733

2 Likes

That’s a new one too!

1 Like

Don’t forget his brief stint as a race car driver.

It may have been a short-lived career, but storied enough to have a corner named after him.

3 Likes

I actually saw that when it came out

I vaguely remember it was a sort of offbeat anti-romance where the two people who are supposed to get together never do, but it’s fine because everybody likes turtles :turtle:

1 Like

christopher walken turtle GIF

2 Likes

… oh so you have seen it :laughing:

2 Likes

He’s delightful in Layer Cake but as many have mentioned The Singing Detective is the standout role.

I never thought he was right for Dumbledore, especially after kindly old Harris. Gambon had a sense of controlled menace that was great in so many roles but not that one.

2 Likes