Michael Moore: Planet of the Humans available for free

Well yes, but with renewables it’s a step-by-step process, greening the grid with each small installation going online, and we can start with that right now, the technology is there. Whereas “going nuclear” means having to wait 10 years or more (looking at you, Flamanville 3) for the very first kWh to materialize. I repeat, we don’t have time for that.

Pre-fab plants, small modular reactors or similar ideas are pie-in-the-sky and will remain so for the foreseeable future. The World Nuclear Industry Status Report (lead author Mycle Schneider, nuclear energy consultant and anti-nuclear activist) is an interesting read. Have a look at the “Climate Change and Nuclear Power” chapter.

Another point: nuclear power plants are not nearly as reliable as one might think. According to the “France Focus” chapter, in 2018 the French nuclear power plants had a load factor of 70% only. The reactor fleet had an average of 87.6 zero-output days per reactor, and at one point, 27 of the 58 reactors were down at the same time. I’d call that fairly intermittent…

[Edited since I borked a quote]

Has anyone looked into Nuclear Alligator power?

9 Likes

Like you’ve never posted the Bug Bunny Florida Gif :wink:

3 Likes

If people from GA can’t joke with Floridians, we’re fucked.

3 Likes

Much to my surprise, I make a cameo appearance in Michael Moore’s latest film, Planet of the Humans , directed by Jeff Gibbs. The clip is from my original TV show at the time, Climate Challenge TV , where I challenged Bill McKibben on the question of who funds his organization 350.org. As a result, I feel compelled to share my views on the documentary, starting with my belief that McKibben, while less than forthcoming about his donors in my interview, has made extensive contributions to the advancement of the climate movement, for which he deserves great credit.

I understand that we need massive social and cultural changes to ultimately correct our human course. But that is a long-term proposition and our timeline is infinitesimally short to deal with those destructive carbon dioxide molecules. Trashing wind and solar energy, without considering the technological evolution necessary to perfect them or offering any other solution, brings the filmmakers uncomfortably close to what I call “Doomers,” those who are prepared to kiss humanity goodbye, almost gleefully. Doomers end up at the same place as deniers – doing nothing. And that my friends, could spell D-O-O-M-S-D-A-Y for humanity.

7 Likes

Michael Moore has really embarrassed himself with this disaster.

They even had to lie about the one technology they cover that actually is bad:

That’s why climate scientists are increasingly calling on policymakers to stop expanding this practice. So has 350.org founder Bill McKibben since 2016, despite his depiction in the film as a villainous proponent of clearcutting forests to burn for energy.

More:

6 Likes

:grumpy_cat_good:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.