Michael Moore says Trump will use pandemic to cancel election

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/22/michael-moore-says-trump-will.html

6 Likes

The Constitution prohibits the President from extending his term. Even if he cancels the election. Unless Mitch McConnell performs some really hinky magic tricks, Trump is out at the end of January 2021 unless he wins reelection.

44 Likes

Doesn’t matter. He’ll come up with a (lame) pretext. The SCROTUS will say it’s perfectly legal. Democrats will make some noises and send out some fundraising letters but will, ultimately, not do anything effective. “That damn piece of paper” as Dubya called it won’t make a bit of difference.

18 Likes

He can still die between now and November.

62 Likes

In which case one of his spawn will be put forward as the Clown Prince or Princess and we will see the beginning of the dynasty.

7 Likes

I don’t truck with fatalistic defeatism.

44 Likes

The president doesn’t control elections – Congress does. Trump can make declarations from now until November, and it won’t accomplish one goddamn thing for him. We’re having an election, and there’s nothing the Mass Murderer In Chief can do about it.

29 Likes

The constitution also prohibits the president from receiving gifts from foreign agents, compels them to surrender documents as requested by congress and have all appointments vetted and approved by the Senate, yet here we are.

74 Likes

He very clearly doesn’t have the authority to do that—the elections are administered by state governments. Yeah, Trump has succeeded in a getting away with shit when the burden of checks-and-balances falls on the other branches of the Federal government, but that precedent isn’t applicable to this situation.

Anyway, let’s pretend that he is planning to cancel the election: the best thing for Trump would be to just cancel it now, then he can pocket all the campaign funds. Why waste money on an election that’s not going to happen?

7 Likes

Amen.

Trump is massively unpopular. He’s losing the support of suburban women. The GOP is realizing he’s a boat anchor who will drag them under.

We need to get off our asses and work toward a landslide that kicks the GOP out of office, everywhere.

61 Likes

7 Likes

There’s cause for concern on both sides about the election, I would hardly say the writing is on the wall.

Reminder: The right wing suggested that Obama was going to cancel the 2012 election. That was anxious hand-wringing not grounded in reality. This could be as well.

7 Likes

Look, this is not going to happen. Congress and the rest of the Govt will use their oversight to stop his clearly… illegal… actions…sorry, I almost said that with a straight face.

25 Likes

Christ, what an asshole. (Both of them.)

3 Likes

Duda and Bolsonaro are also very unpopular. As long as they have enough support to get into power dictators don’t care if people hate them. In fact, they get off on the anger and frustration. You’re still laboring under the obsolete idea that “deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed” has anything to do with the Republican Party in general or Lil Donny in particular.

12 Likes

“Vote in numbers too big to manipulate”

“Ahhhh…but the overwhelming numbers against me PROVE it was voter fraud”

23 Likes

They said Obama was and was gunna do a lot of things, all of which turned out to be true of Trump. If Trump somehow turned out to be Kenyan, I wouldn’t even batt and eye.

27 Likes

? That’s an example of what, exactly?

Just read this elsewhere, my response:

The majority of which are run by Republicans. Hmm, sounds like something that would go to the Supreme Court.

download (1)

I think the important point is that he will try, and we must be ready, not that he will, fait accompli. But if we’re shocked, SHOCKED, when he tries, then we’re in big trouble.

Which will be great news for Michael Moore! Finally, an end to the evil of alternative energy! We can begin the important project in earnest of eliminating all those excess brown people who are so bad for the environment because of all their breeding.

8 Likes

Good luck getting the military on board to back a Trumptatorship. Military leaders don’t like the guy at all. They have a recent history of telling Trump off and without the underpinning of Constitutional authority they won’t step down to be replaced either.

12 Likes

Exactly. It is hard coded in the Constitution. There are a lot of shenanigans we should be wary of, but this is on the level of Bill Gates want to put microchips in us with the vaccine, or Obama was gearing up for martial law with Jade Helm.

I am sure he will keep pushing for voter suppression. Cancelling or delaying the election and expecting to say in office past Jan 20th is a hard no. I suppose it makes for a fun dystopian writing prompt, but let’s not lose our heads here.

15 Likes