Microsoft Japan claims 4-day workweek bumped productivity 40%

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/microsoft-japan-claims-4-day-w.html

8 Likes

Didn’t they see a bump in productivity with an 8hr work day too? I know there are many studies out there about how much “work” is and isnt done in a day, and efficiency goes down the longer one is there.

Hrm - guess I better go back to it…

17 Likes

The U.S. will be the last major industrialised nation to get this, because…

26 Likes

Has nobody heard of the Hawthorne Effect? This is classic time-n-motion era rubbish. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect

7 Likes

Blockquote The standard duration for a meeting was slashed from 60 minutes to 30

Wow, standard duration meetings. That would cause you to go into all meetings knowing there was not even a hope they’d only last 5 or 10 minutes.

2 Likes

A good chunk of Microsoft support works 4x10’s in the US.

5 Likes

My immediate thought as well. The test was for 5 weeks, which iirc is just on the boundary of when results like this should start to be taken seriously.

1 Like

It seems that the biggest contributor to that boost is that they cut way back on meetings which, as a rule, waste a lot of time.

Well, shit. Meetings are the only time one can laser-point at idiotic, ill-conceived PP charts and have the office-cat paw and scratch at them! Shit!

7 Likes

I dunno. Meetings are when I catch up on emails.

8 Likes

But what will Management do on the fifth day? I worry about these things…

10 Likes

23 Likes

How else will they explain their evil plots?

9 Likes

I’ve worked both 5x8 hours and 4x10 hours schedules with everything else the same. Shifting to a 4 day work week had modest productivity gains. Mainly in that I am not very productive in the morning. Real work starts around noon and once I am engaged in solving a problem I don’t look up. So a 4 day week has one less morning for me to waste time on, and the extended EOD is when I’m at my best so I more often find a solution in the last couple of extra hours. Win/Win.

A secondary effect is psychological. In both cases I am working 40 hours but with a 4 day work week and 3 day weekends it feels like I am working less and feel more refreshed after the weekend.

15 Likes

Of course in the US this would be

12 Likes

Yes, it was just moving my hours around. Same salary. Same meetings. Same expectations and delivery schedules. For me it was a better way to work 40 hours. Where I am now they allow this hour juggling technically. By technically, I mean the extra day off can’t be a Monday or Friday. Which is just disruptive and does no one any good.

6 Likes

They don’t say how many hours are worked in that 4 day week. Having read about Japan’s work ethic it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s more than 40 hours.

1 Like

Of course back in the day, laser pointers were a bit bigger

6 Likes

If you’re a Bond fan and haven’t read it, I strongly recommend Jennifer Morgue. Without spoiling the plot, it’s basically a hilarious send-up of Fleming’s plots al la Lovecraftian horror.

10 Likes

And what will they do without the meetings?

6 Likes

Always love book recommendations!
To the Amazons!
Another E-book to read on my commute/bathroom/out in the field!

3 Likes