Microtransactions overwhelmed the Disney cinematic universe

I kind of like the suggestion that the characters within the Star Wars universe ALSO learned about Palpatine’s return by watching the teaser trailers for Rise of Skywalker.

9 Likes

Along with a bunch of Nikto guys and those two Gammoreans.

Talking about films which try to be like video games, anyone remembers Mark Hamill in a certain video game which tried to be like a movie?

The thing, and the whole of the thing is: we are talking about “interactive experience” since ages, but the interaction still is consumption, and nothing else. Since the beginning of plays, the whole experience is a surrogate for life, and is giving the audience a double illusion. One, the illusion of taking part in actual action. Be it on kothurns or not, it is still a show, and not life. It is larger-than-life. Two, the illusion of having a say how the action is played out. The producers and directors do have the say, and while the audience can be sometimes part of the arrangement, their role is written. You don’t have to be Brecht to be my guru, you don’t have to be Weinstein to rule my world, you just want my extra time and my … money.

So, the convergence of different forms of play is, in my opinion, completely normal. All dissonance arises from the quality of the play - and the quality of the audience.

3 Likes

sounds like a basket full of every late twentieth century fantasy trope.

3 Likes

It’s pretty much just a giant ripoff of Vaughn Bodé, stealing his art style and characters. That said, it’s entertaining to watch, just for what a 70s period piece it is.

1 Like

Well if they were as badass as that one I would feel differently :heart_eyes:

Ever since Ben Kenobi offhandedly mentioned the Clone Wars in 1977, Star Wars’s story has been bigger than the movie. You don’t need to look outside the movies to know what’s going on (if you have basic cinematic competence), but more stories are there if you want them.

1 Like

Just like the MCU?

3 Likes

Famously, Star Wars promulgated a lived in aesthetic.

No shiny starships for you!

Except, of course, for the J-type 327. Was it worth it George? Sure, you got to advertise ILM’s new rendering array, but the backstories turned out to be trite.

Even the Millennium Falcon lost some of its luster when Solo explained it all.

Even in 1977 only some of Star Wars had the “used universe” aesthetic. The Empire was glossy and polished. In 1980 we got art deco cleanliness in Cloud City. There was nothing un-Star Wars about showing us a shiny spaceship at the height of the New Republic. Not everywhere is Tatooine.

3 Likes

I wonder if it might be the other way around and people who did not have video games could see these movies and not think there was anything odd with them.

my TV makes 2D into 3D. I will be sad when it dies since they don’t make them any more. makes infomercials friggin hilarious.

1 Like

Maybe I’m just re-stating the obvious here, but isn’t most of the dissonance coming from the persistent notion that “the three trilogies” or “the Skywalker saga” ** - Episode 1–9 - are supposed to be like the omega node in the Star Wars universe, as opposed to comic books, novels, video games, tv series, as well as the “Star Wars stories” cinematic movies and all other media.
George Lucas created this mythos after the fact, by assigning the number 4 to “Return of the Jedi” and retroactively re-naming “A new hope”, but fans have come to regard it as gospel.

Framed this way, the nine “core movies” are supposed to be enjoyable as stand-alone works of art, whilst simultaneously serving as a starting point for all the world building in the “expanded universe”. Framed this way, continuity is supposed to emanate from the nine movies, not travel in the opposite direction from places like Fortnight. That’s why it feels like DLC to some people.

I think Disney might actually had been better off with the fandom if they had made a bunch of “Star Wars stories” movies to base their theme parks on, instead of rushing ep 7-9 into production.

1 Like

Apparently this is about a line of barely-discernible dialog in a babble of overlapping voices, and maybe a ship that appears in a corner for a fraction of a second?

Makes me think of the good old days when we’d contemplate rumors that some of the space battles in the original trilogy contained potatoes and sneakers.

I am a little intrigued by this new Kylo Ren comic that turned up the other day. (Quite spoiler-free. Click for album.)

1 Like

Star Wars got the IV and the subtitle in 1981, for its first rerelease after its first sequel (ESB in 1980). George’s earliest notes have the episodic structure (it varies from six to twelve chapters); this was always his plan, but when he was struggling to get The Star Wars made he didn’t want to promise potential audiences there would be sequels/prequels.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t like that the Knights of Ren were referred to in Ep 7, and showed up in ep 9, but had absolutely no explanation and did fuck all except lurk menacingly, then fight one guy.

3 Likes

Boba has been in and out of the living post sarlacc in various canon more times than I can count. I wouldn’t count him out just yet. And if the fan theory is true:

he is the mysterious character in the final scene of ep 5 of The Mandalorian

Could be worse.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.