Minnesota lawmakers propose bizarre, dangerous PRINCE law

[Read the post]

2 Likes

I’m moving to Minnesota, changing my name to The, and putting some lawyers on retainer.

19 Likes

If this were to ever pass, they wouldn’t be able to enforce any of this outside of Minnesota right?

3 Likes

Are there any good laws which have cutesy acronym names?

12 Likes

Would this keep the Mormons from baptizing me into their fold?

6 Likes

Would this also cover

?

8 Likes

Anyone have the same name as the lawmakers that proposed this law? If so, could you move to Minnesota (temporarily? How long do you need to have lived in Minnesota to be able to invoke this law? Would a 3-day weekend stay in a hotel qualify?) and use this law to demand they cancel a reelection fundraiser that uses the name of the candidate (that they share with you) in its ads?

8 Likes

I don’t know, but one of the sponsors of this bill, Senator Cohen (DFL, District 64), seems to be trading on the popularity of those famous Minnesotans the Coen brothers…

3 Likes

Bullshit it’s a great law in the name of the Great Prince sign it into law

When faced with your overwhelming logic and persuasive ninja rhetoric, how could we do anything but support this law? Thank you for showing us the error of our ways.

6 Likes

I love Prince and all, but WE CANT EVEN GET SUNDAY SALES AND THIS SHIT IS GETTING PUT ON THE TABLE

5 Likes

DREAM Act?

Though it’s not a law yet, it hasn’t passed.

While I disagree with the law, can someone explain this idea posited from EFF for me?

"The proposed bill would also allow a celebrity’s estate to seek more than financial compensation: it can also get a court order taking content offline. In the internet context, this kind of seizure almost always sweeps up perfectly legitimate speech – it is difficult to “seize” just part of a website. "

Websites are based on a folder hierarchy. If the offending material is in in foo.bar.prince.example.com or in example.com/foo/bar/prince one just takes those folders offline and all is good.

I understand how a tech-noob would probably kill the whole website, but I am missing the part where it difficult to kill a subdomain or a path.

I like SOX. It’s pretty consistently misconstrued in my field but it’s a well-written piece of legislation.

1 Like

The Trump defense. Well played!

Of course they can, but it’s complicated. Minnesota can issue a warrant for my arrest, but they can’t execute it until I set foot in Minnesota. They can also ask my state to nab me and extradite me, but I don’t think they do that for little stuff.

Only if you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

4 Likes

Nah, SOX doesn’t count. It has to be a tortured, syntax-bending acronym, not one that comes from a logical name of a law.

1 Like

The ROBOCOP Act?

2 Likes