Missouri sheriff seeks volunteers to get drunk at police station and help with training

6 Likes

… so then why is it even legal any more to operate a bar with a parking lot :confused:

3 Likes

I’m not so sure that’s true. Isn’t that the whole point of measuring BAC levels and having some cutoff: if you’re under the cutoff, you’re ok to drive?

Even if it is true, surely there must be a statute of limitations, i.e. after drinking any amount of alcohol, you should be legally allowed to drive after, what six hours?

So if the police serve me alcohol during the day, after enough time has elapsed I would expect no law prevents me from driving on my own.

I think that it is more of a risk assessment. If you are under the cutoff, then you are likely to be okay to drive within an acceptable threshold of “okay.” Balancing personal liberty against public safety is always going to be a compromise with no sure thing.

No, that is not how statutes of limitations work. The law applies to your state at the time of driving. Even if you are within the BAC limit, you can still be arrested for drunk driving if you are demonstrably impaired.

ETA: Although you are legally allowed to drive after one or two drinks (depending on various factors affecting BAC), please do not drive after drinking if there is any possibility whatsoever that you are impaired. It is not so simple as BAC > 0.08 = Impaired. Many other factors affect impairment, so it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Especially food intake, which is why I think cops tend to be more relaxed about restaurants as opposed to straight-up bars. Probably not wise, but hey… :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yes, and, I’m getting off topic but our country’s laws come with this insane morality clause. Anecdotal example: locally, about a year ago, a driver of a personal vehicle fell asleep behind the wheel and mowed down a family of 3 pedestrians. He was not found to be criminally liable, and the remaining family’s only avenue was civil court.
Recently, a driver of a personal vehicle crashed into another car, causing a fatality. He is in prison already and facing at least 20 years.
The latter had alcohol in his system, but it wasn’t named as a factor in the crash. He also fell asleep behind the wheel.
It shouldn’t really matter why you fall asleep behind the wheel. I’d rather we find ways for tired people to get where they need to be without killing people.
In the meantime, existing laws are applied unjustly. Same as it ever was. :unamused:

4 Likes

It should be noted that field sobriety tests are … questionable. Or they can be, anyway. Field sobriety tests are often complicated enough, and the assessment subjective enough, that they can be used to supply probable cause even where the person is stone cold sober. “Oh, you wobbled a little on your fifth time walking that straight line heel-to-toe!” Most attorneys recommend declining a field sobriety test, which is your right. Honestly, once they’ve decided to do a field sobriety test, they’re probably going to arrest you anyway. They’re just collecting evidence. You don’t have to help them.

Also, don’t drive drunk. Ever. Don’t drive buzzed, don’t drive on opiates or benadryl or anything else that impairs your ability to react to shit. Please.

4 Likes

Understood, but my point is that absent being above the BAC threshold, and absent being demonstrably impaired, I’d think it’s perfectly legal (although not necessarily advisable, as you added) to drive after having had something to drink.

Yes, and it’s perfectly legal to make accepting a ride home afterwards a prerequisite for participating in such a program as well.

Alcohol takes many hours to fully metabolize, so it just makes sense in terms of the logistics.

Yes, I’d have to imagine the PD would instate such a requirement, otherwise they’d be on the hook for anything that happened.

I’m not endorsing that aspect of the law, so don’t misunderstand me; but I just checked the DUI laws of the three closest states and they make it pretty clear that BAC is only one criterion that can be used to establish drunk driving. Some states make it clear that any provable amout of alcohol in a driver’s system is considered DUI while others require that and any degree of impairment. And let’s face it, if a LEO observes you consuming alcohol then driving, they can decide whether you are “impaired” based on almost anything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.