Missouri sheriff seeks volunteers to get drunk at police station and help with training

Originally published at: Missouri sheriff seeks volunteers to get drunk at police station and help with training | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Somebody is using his head for more than parking his hat.

6 Likes

Only if I get to play records while we’re at it…

18 Likes

OK I gotta admit “the wet lab” is a pretty good nickname for an at-home bar.

18 Likes

Ah, beat me too it!

7 Likes

Actual training footage:

15 Likes

“Some people handle alcohol well, and others not so much,” the notice states.

Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

6 Likes

“Get drunk around a bunch of cops” is definitely on my … what do you call the opposite of a bucket list?

15 Likes

Fuck-that list?

16 Likes

I think you’d want a sober lawyer present. Or just don’t do it.

6 Likes

This has “wrongful death” lawsuit written all over it…

3 Likes

I came only to make sure it did not – somehow – get missed!

(It actually is interesting to get to drink with the breathalyzer handy to get some sense of how drunk you are at .08 and beyond – I’m big enough that four beers over a couple of hours and I’m well below the .08, but I won’t drive anywhere close to that. I’m legal, but I don’t regard myself as safe. .08 has me pretty hammered – at driving at .16 is impossible for me as I’d have long since gone to bed!)

4 Likes

That’s my favorite episode right after Turkey Drop.

5 Likes

Especially if all your glassware is graduated borosilicate!

7 Likes

“Those who imbibe will be given a ride home.”

If you test under the limit, don’t you have the right to drive home?

2 Likes

IIRC, most drunk driving laws include BAC limits and make it illegal to drive after drinking any amount of alcohol.

1 Like

As I recall – in California, anyway — it’s not illegal to drink with small amounts of a BAC – rather it’s that a .08 is, without any other evidence, conclusive proof of drunk driving. If you blow a .05 and are driving like an asshole, you can still get popped for DUI, it’s just that the .05 doesn’t prove the case.

1 Like

I’m trying to imagine the PR and insurance disaster if the cops said “yeah, cool, you can drive” and you crashed. No organization would ever allow it, and it’s their party.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that they didn’t add “but outstanding warrants are encouraged.”

7 Likes

Right. I may not have communicated it clearly. Some BAC is allowed to drive, since most people cannot measure their own BAC, and also as a buffer for the accuracy of a field breathalyzer, since it can yield false positives, especially after the subject has had a very intense workout.

What I meant was, if a LEO observes you drinking then driving, it doesn’t matter what your BAC is - you’ve violated that particular law.

2 Likes