"Mist showers": a decadent shower that the planet can sustain

The low flow head I have/enjoy claims to not clog from hard water. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W2CEYA/

Unless your hobbies include off-roading, trail running, dirt biking, rugby, football, soccer, ultimate frisbee, hiking, gardening, or pretty much anything else outdoors, you might not ever have encountered this.

10 Likes

Your’s is a non-standard definition:

5 Likes

If you are interested in giving this a try but you don’t want to wait for the kit, the “mist shower kit” shown in this post is just a fog mister for irrigating gardens and greenhouses. They’re also used for those mist-cooler things you see at festivals and outdoor restaurants. You can buy them at your local home center, or search Amazon for “mist nozzle.”

I’m pretty sure this one is the exact kit used in the post. It costs $8.50. You will also need an adapter from your shower pipe to the quarter inch plastic irrigation tubing – different parts of the world have different conventions for plumbing interconnects. If you’re not sure what to get, just unscrew your shower head and bring it to your home center. Someone should be able to figure it out.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/BuildSoil/status/1195045019553419264

11 Likes

Clearly I’ve been listening to the wrong people, but I’ve heard these referred to as a ‘whores bath’.
Sorry

Also, I’ve been told that most places outside the UK don’t tend to have electric showers (ie the shower has it’s own electric heater built in), is this true? They’re present in the majority of UK houses.

2 Likes

Showers use around half the water of baths so why don’t you demonize those first?

On-demand water heaters at point of [demand] source were all I saw in England, Germany, The Netherlands, etc. when I traveled there and stayed in my family’s and friends’ homes. What a sensible, efficient way to heat water and manage resources!

These are sometimes available in the U.S. in custom home construction. One can always retrofit a such a heater, which is what my boss did when her water heater went kaput. Nice!

Sadly, in the U.S., the majority of newly built (!) and older residential homes, like the kinds built by at-scale commercial builders who build entire subdivisions all in one go, or multi-family condos or apartments in 8 weeks flat here in Austin, as far as I can tell, still put in each a single water heater: a storage tank heated using natural gas or electricity for one house/apartment unit. This centralized hot water supply is for the kitchen sink, bath, washer, etc.

Storage hot water tanks are not efficient users of gas/electricity because they typically are set to keep the water hot at all times, regardless of whether demand is actively placed on the supply or not. We have insulated ours with several water heater blankets (fiberglass batts). It is not ideal. We also put on a timer on it so it only gets power twice a day, to reduce our electricity bill.

In Mexico, I learned to take my showers at 4pm because the black plastic water tank on the roof of our beach rental had the hottest water at that time. I’d like to put a solar water heating system on our house next. It is hot in Austin, Texas most of the year. Except now!

4 Likes

I have quit coffee for all of November and am extra thick. I misunderstood. Please forgive me.

Our fam here in ATX nearly has a misting system already for our one shower. The showerhead sometimes is like a fogger more than a sprayer. Flow is ~ 1-2 gallons per minute (3.8 - 7.6 liters per minute). Still way more than the mist shower’s flow rate, surely. But:

(if you look closely you can see there’s a cutoff for the Navy Shower technique discussed upthread–good!)

Still using the sink and washcloth technique in areas where water supply is very limited. I attended the Gaviotas conference held at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu, NM and was horrified to find their ancient showerheads were wildly insanely wasteful. Sent them half a dozen of the showerheads there in my link (above) after I got back, with a letter asking them to consider replacing at least some of those 1960s showerheads. Fergoodnesssakes this Ghost Ranch a ranch in the American Southwest desert and if there were ever a place that the mist shower device ought to be installed, it would be right freakin’ there!

ETA: I finally found an Amazon link that displays properly, and used it instead
ETA2: found the link for the Gaviotas folks and added that

3 Likes

Um… maybe I am dressed like that? Don’t judge me, people…

2 Likes

The mist shower idea was briefly raised in my household. The long haired contingent shot it down with extreme prejudice.

2 Likes

Mudlike gunk - it’s called working for a living. It’s called mechanics, farmers, ranchers, carpenters, sweating. Look it up.

Wow, talked down to by a Fuller hater and someone who thinks I’ve never worked in my life. What a fortunate few days!

2 Likes

If the black barrel is left out long enough, yes. It might be a little inconvenient having to wait 3 days between showers. And I’m pretty sure rust would start to become a significant problem somewhere along the way.

That’s true. Tesla stole credit for far fewer ideas than Edison.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.