Boston man hasn't showered for 12 years, prefers homebrew bacteria spray

[Read the post]

1 Like

I always wondered what happened to that kid.

20 Likes

Perhaps with only minimal inference we could retitle this post, “Boston man hasn’t had sex in 11 years, 51 weeks, and 4 days”?

25 Likes

You showering regularly is a healthy practice for all the people that surround you.

I sure hope nobody had to interview him, or that he is lying.

It’s interesting that all the comments so far are derisive. I suspect he doesn’t stink.

That said, why not shower without soap? And, if you’re trying to sell hygiene products, personal grooming is important. Get a damn haircut.

6 Likes

Well how does it work? What does his wife think about - oh, he’s single?

Actually he probably has a point that pre-modern era we probably did have bacteria that kept things in check better. But now we have soap and water. Though I do agree many people don’t have to shower every single day - some do though.

2 Likes

I suspect he does stink, as most of the compounds that cause odor tend to be fusel alcohols and carboxylic acid byproducts of anaerobic digestion, the organisms that produce them are extremely robust, and even if the bacteria produce byproducts as advertised (which I’m not getting paid to look up on KEGG BRITE, so I won’t), the metabolism of the bacteria he describes is fundamentally aerobic in nature so it doesn’t address the problematic areas where these smells originate.

11 Likes

“I didn’t have time to shower every day; so instead, I strip down twice a day and apply these lotions. Sure, they cost more than the stuff you can buy at any store in the nation, and if you don’t refrigerate it it goes bad, but another forty bucks plus overnight shipping is a small price to pay for being unique.”

23 Likes

I’m sure part of his scientific analysis included the part where not showering had no net impact on his social life.

So he’s also perfected a diet that produces exclusively no-wipers?

30 Likes

I would be interested in seeing if this product had any effect on commonplace skin conditions, like teen acne for example.

3 Likes

In pre-modern times everyone was in the same boat, odor-ifically speaking, so it was normal for humans have an odor, maybe a strong one. Perhaps it was even useful in recognizing people or figuring out physical compatibility. (Not a fan of your smell = won’t marry you, if that choice was possible.) I doubt all of human history was a string of people thinking everyone else smelled bad.

4 Likes

Isn’t the hypothesis behind this pretty easy to test?

I’m sure there are plenty of populations around the world who do not wash regularly with modern soaps. Surely you could analyse the bacteria on these people to find out if there is any basis whatsoever to his theory rather than just inferring it from the fact these bacteria are all around.

I’m sceptical of this particular theory, but the idea that modern soap may not actually be doing us much good doesn’t seem crazy. There seems to be increasing evidence that we’ve completely screwed up our gut bacteria, and this may be causing problems, it doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch that skin bacteria might be just as important and we might have screwed them up too.

11 Likes

One of the things I think of when I read about a tribe that hasn’t had outside contact or that lives as they did 1000 years ago is ‘do they stink?’. If not, why not? Is it the diet, the local, or some other reason. If they do, then this fellows theory seems kinda shot.

1 Like

I don’t care if this guy is 100% right. I LIKE taking showers and baths, and he can take my shower nozzle from my cold, dead, but clean, hands.

16 Likes

The probably don’t because they probably wash regularly. Most peoples do. Native Americans were horrified by Europeans when they met them because of the stench: Europeans, particularly those who first settled in English colonies, virtually never bathed.

6 Likes

Might not be the best example…shower nozzles are a microbiological horror show.

Let me guess: he rides the T every day.

This answers so many questions about Boston public transportation!

8 Likes

Oh, maybe I missed the point. I thought the guy was saying that modern soaps killed these bacteria due to their extreme sensitivity to anionic surfactants and had supposed that most tribal people bathe with just water or water and sand.

But that’s hardly a control: he’s suggesting, apparently, that you don’t need to wash at all.