MLK on car ads

when, and in what context did he say that?

cannot trace it farther than quote mining sites, and sources that may have used those quote mining sites…

Black Lives Matter Activist Calls Out ‘White Privilege’ of Post-Super Bowl Property Damage

Hawk Newsome: “You can riot if you’re White and your team wins, but if you’re Black and being killed, you can’t speak out.”

Tens of thousands of Philadelphia sports fans flooded the city’s streets last night (February 4) to celebrate the hometown Eagles’ 41-33 win over the returning champion New England Patriots in Super Bowl LII. According to U.S. News and World Report, many fans’ belligerence led to various instances of property damage, including a collapsed Ritz-Carlton Hotel awning, an overturned car, destroyed traffic poles and two reportedly stolen police horses.

Photos detailing this destruction on Getty Images and Twitter largely show White male perpetrators. The Philadelphia Police Department has not yet released a final arrest tally for the vandalism, but Ajennah Amir, a spokesperson for the the mayor’s office, told CNN of just three arrests. Black Lives Matter of Greater New York president Hawk Newsome called out the department’s treatment of these people—as compared to the aggressive policing of Black protesters at actions against police violence—in an interview with Newsweek this morning (February 5).

“Somehow, it seems there’s a line drawn in the sand where destruction of property because of a sports victory is okay and acceptable in America,” Newsome explained. “However, if you have people who are fighting for their most basic human right, the right to live, they will be condemned.”

Newsome pointed out city officials’ seeming reluctance to condemn the property damage, including police sergeant Brian Geer’s tweet telling people to simply “go home”:

Newsome told Newsweek that this response was “a glaring example of White privilege.”

“You can riot if you’re White and your team wins, but if you’re Black and being killed, you can’t speak out,” he added.

8 Likes

Another classic MLK quote:

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

And some Frederick Douglass to go with it:

Let me give you a word of the philosophy of reform. The whole history of the progress of human liberty shows that all concessions yet made to her august claims, have been born of earnest struggle. The conflict has been exciting, agitating, all-absorbing, and for the time being, putting all other tumults to silence. It must do this or it does nothing. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

6 Likes

ah. it’s from a memoir by Harry Belafonte-- My Song

(click to read more lines)

1 Like

Those are cops arresting him? Where’s all their riot gear and military hardware? They look like TV show extras.

(Look at those pictures with today’s eyes and see if you don’t see the same.)

2 Likes

The pigs arrest John Lewis.

1 Like

Not all of the images from back then are so mild…

I get your point, though. Many things are worse now.

3 Likes

Next year’s ad:

:wink:

4 Likes

Why do you ask?

It’s a paraphrase of sorts, from Harry B’s memoir.

Edit: I see you found it already. Still wondering why you even asked…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.