MMA fighter's quick defeat of traditional martial artist "leaves China reeling"

It’s good that Christianity strictly proscribes witchcraft, or I might have gotten the wrong idea.

Honestly, though, Hinn would be way less creepy if he were actually being Metal about it. That genre certainly has a fondness for spectacle; but doesn’t have nearly the same need to tie truth claims to things that make a good show.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I suppose I mostly take issue with “not dominant” in the sense of “Boxing is ‘not dominant’ in MMA now since pure boxers aren’t likely to be victorious”, whereas not understanding the basic tenants of striking and the timing and reaction training that entails would be just as crippling to your strategy as not having a ground game.

I think instead I’ll counter with: We’re past the point in which single-trained martial artists are going to be victorious in modern MMA, and that seems to be what’s playing out in the videos here. “dominance” of a given martial art has basically become immaterial.

4 Likes

Implies these “black belts” were in any way synchronized.

3 Likes

Isn’t the whole idea behind “Mixed Martial Arts” is the mixed part? You are taking the most successful parts of each style and creating a hybrid of winning techniques.

Granted, you still need to be good at your particular style (mixed or not) in order to be good at it.

2 Likes

BJJ is a tournament style. It takes advantage of the existence of rules. Rules like “no weapons” and “no biting”.

When I was a scrappy young fool, I got tired of a guy telling me his Gracie-do made it impossible for anyone to beat him in a streetfight. So I said, demonstrate on me. He grabbed me and put me in a lock where my face was pressed against his femoral artery. I bet he probably still has the toothmarks!

In the real world, if somebody wants you dead or injured, they can just push an old toilet off a high building when you are walking by, or put poison in your coffee. Unarmed combat is ritualized to provide beneficial mental and physical effects with little risk of real damage, and that’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

18 Likes

I would say it is more about a variety of high-caliber experience and practice, and learning what works against what without caring about style. A lot of the most successful fighters are all-American wrestlers (which is also a mixed martial art when it comes down to it) which gives them the decades of wrestling they need to instinctively escape grapples and position themselves for a win however their strategy dictates.

2 Likes

The best part is that Bruce lee an american born Hong Kong citizen was the father of modern MMA. Ive been reading his collected note books recently and wish i had read this years ago…i would recommend to any one interest in martial philosophies.
But his ideas and experiments were the philosophical basis, You mix in that insane first UFC where the small guy spider humps his opponents into submission was a shock to western martial artists, this idea has slowly travelled the world.
you can find Brazilian Jujitsu in japan now the country of the original art…
its gaining ground in Korea and china is next, Every thing will be tested and old ideas will be found to have great purpose others not so much…

4 Likes

A lot of fights end up on the floor, and a grappler will have the advantage. Unless your opponent has his mates with him, and then you’re in a lot of trouble.

You can learn a fighting technique/martial art that’s great when you’re in your twenties, but will leave your body wrecked in your forties and fifties.

To overcome someone who is younger, fitter, stronger and faster, you need to practice your art for hours and hours. I’ve heard that level of time commitment has probably gone from Tai chi in China.

Do you want to fight to kill/break bones, or do you want to defend yourself and “discourage” the person from attacking you again (or at all)?

Apples and Oranges. Horses for courses.

3 Likes

And the problem is obvious: the Tai-Chi master has either a) never been in a sparring match or b) has never “sparred” where you’re judged on effectiveness, not technique.

MMA guy wasn’t even trying. There was zero attempt to block his “non-prescribed” techniques and keep him at bay, zero counter-attacks. He wouldn’t need to be a good fighter to win this bout, the fact that he was a fighter is enough.

That’s why for me this video is disappointing and disingenuous. This wasn’t a match between two fighters. If it’d been between two people who were BOTH prepared to spar, it would have been a different story. (I knew a guy who was hugely into Tai-Chi and could use those techniques to flatten you in two seconds, because he could put those motions into high speed, knew where to apply them and wasn’t afraid to do so if he had to).

10 Likes

Ouch. Right on the inner thigh? That’s gotta hurt.

3 Likes

But has anyone tested these techniques against a six-year-old who’s good at Kancho?

9 Likes

It sounds like he tried to put you in a triangle choke. A good triangle shouldn’t give you much of a chance to bite. Here are a bunch of videos of people ending street fights with triangles: Google

2 Likes

My martial arts instructors would approve. There are rules for a sparring match and different rules for real life. One of my proudest moments wad when one of them picked up a weapon, wielded it like someone with a baseball bat and said “what are you going to do?” People who tried fancy techniques to disarm him got clobbered (not hard, but as a good indicator why it was a bad idea).

I am short, so I stepped in close while he was swinging it, jammed one hand hard into the shoulder joint while grabbing him by the throat with the other and starting to squeeze. His only comment was that I could try to take his leg out from under him (since he was badly off balance after losing forward momentum) and try to land with my weight on the hand that already had a choking grasp on his throat. The lesson? In real life situations, don’t worry about fancy and don’t be afraid to get brutal.

7 Likes

#2 reminded me of a teacher saying you can break up school boy fights, they’ll respond to an authority, but don’t get between the girls. (a paraphrased recollection)

1 Like

A policeman I used to train with once said, you’ve got to remember, if you end up in a fight outside of the dojo, you could end up in court. And you could be listening to a lawyer describing you as a “practitioner of the fighting arts”.

If you’re studying MMA/Gracie, that lawyer could be using “the ultimate fighting technique” type description against you.

4 Likes

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this, but the guy in the other beatdown video was not doing aikido and was not an aikido master or anything remotely like it. He billed himself as a “aiki” master - ki is the same mystic energy that’s labeled “chi” or “qi” in Chinese, and “aiki” or “kiai” is the magical unification of your vital energy that’s supposed to be released by the shouting in karate etc.

His schtick, essentially the same as this Chinese tai chi master, was that his energy was so powerful that he didn’t need to know any technique. Whoops.

For all that aikido is oriented to peacefulness and non-lethal solutions, it’s still taught as a martial art, and in the dojos where I’ve studied there’s always been a healthy dose of “Now don’t do this technique hard and fast or you’ll probably dislocate their elbow or shoulder” and “If they don’t fall down when you do this, then that’s their own problem because then you’re perfectly positioned to punch them in the face hard with your other hand.” (This BTW is in the supposedly wimpier and more pacifist Ki-Aikido lineage of schools.)

Aikido does have some clear practical weaknesses. The biggest one, as with many other martial arts, is that beginners get a very simplified and idealized way of how an attacker will proceed, and can get an exaggerated idea of their own abilities due to working with an “attacker” who is cooperating to help them learn, and another of which is that its ideal is to keep your attacker at a distance, so it is weak in “mat” or grappling techniques. If you’re attacked suddenly by someone who’s already at close range when they start to attack, it’s certainly helpful to also know something like Wing Chun, or jiu-jitsu, or Muay Thai.* However its faults have nothing to do with that supposed “kiai” demo.

Edit: * or just basic boxing, of course.

Edit: reading more, I see one source says he claimed to be an “aiki” master as well as having psychic powers; earlier sources I’d read about him said he was claiming to be a master of “kiai”. Basically the same thing, and still not aikido, but I clarified my comment above.

12 Likes

That doesn’t really follow for grappling. BJJ techniques allow you to break someone’s arm or choke them to death pretty easily – but it’s also easy to just not do those things. That makes it simultaneously more safe to practice and more deadly in a real life situation than muay thai where you can’t really simulate the techniques without actually striking your training partner full strength or nearly so.

I think much of this has more to do with individual skill rather than particular fighting styles.

2 Likes

Only when it is a one-on-one fight, which is seldom a guarantee in a street fight. In any other case, going to the ground is the last thing you want. And in the vast majority of cases, a nice little sprint is by far the smartest option.

Not that I’ve ever been in a street fight, but that’s what I learned in numerous self defence classes.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the old Baptazia vids

3 Likes