Mockup of giant TV screen that shows what was behind it months earlier

The Thomas Moore poem from which Shaw derived the title (as did Clarke and Baxter in their quite different 2000 novel of the same name)…

Warning: cryptic spoilers in verse ahoy

Light of Other Days
by Thomas Moore [1779–1852]

OFT, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain has bound me,
Fond Memory brings the light
Of other days around me:
The smiles, the tears
Of boyhood’s years,
The words of love then spoken;
The eyes that shone,
Now dimm’d and gone,
The cheerful hearts now broken!
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain has bound me,
Sad Memory brings the light
Of other days around me.

When I remember all
The friends, so link’d together,
I’ve seen around me fall
Like leaves in wintry weather,
I feel like one
Who treads alone
Some banquet-hall deserted,
Whose lights are fled,
Whose garlands dead,
And all but he departed!
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain has bound me.
Sad Memory brings the light
Of other days around me.

1 Like

According to https://www.digitalrebellion.com/webapps/videocalc,
6 months of 1080 resolution at 60 frames/sec is only 370TB. That’s not big at all.

I’m picturing a sawtooth roof (like in old fashioned factories) where the north facing sides were glass and the south facing sides were slow glass.

The reality is that using a TV and a camera, the perspective would be off unless you put the camera where the person who was going to be watching the TV screen was standing. So you could show stuff that happend twelve hours ago, but not stuff that happend since the TV had been put into place.

2 Likes

This is really cool, but of course the one downside of this idea as opposed to the theoretical slow glass is that the image on this screen would only be two dimensional whereas if slow glass was real, it would appear fully dimensional and 3-D from any angle which would give it a certain eerie quality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.