Samsung's "invisible TV" uses a hi-rez picture of the wall behind it as wallpaper

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/30/the-veldt.html

2 Likes

Kind of neat; but will it burn that screen?

2 Likes

In portrait mode could replace an actual window. Our bleak future is just around the corner.

10 Likes

“Oh man, I think I just bricked my TV!”

31 Likes

So during the ~30 minutes per day (if applicable, assuming similar weather conditions) that your lighting is identical to the moment you took the photo, it looks kinda-invisible. Hmm. Nah.

Edit: not to mention the effect being spoiled by any light sources causing some light reflection.

9 Likes

I just paint the wall that my TV is mounted on black. Easy peasy.

18 Likes

12 Likes

Won’t look very convincing at midnight.

4 Likes

QLED screens aren’t particularly susceptible to burn in. Most modern displays don’t really burn in unless you keep it at max brightness on a single image for a loooong time. The days of CRT and plasma screens where channel bugs could burn in are kind of over. Samsung in particular has a 10-year burn in warranty on at least some of their QLED TVs (I say some because I haven’t checked for this particular model).

5 Likes

“Broadcasting beautiful views 24 hours a day: you’re tuned to the Scenery Channel.”

8 Likes

on the other hand, the LG OLED screens are

3 Likes

I foresee a comeback of those roach screensavers.

6 Likes

Just what we need. Lots of people leaving their power-hungry large-screen televisions on so they can enjoy this silly gimmick.

11 Likes

Well, this is stupid. I’m hanging the TV there to cover up giant hole in the wall. Now I’ve paid for an expensive TV and the hole is still showing. :-/

19 Likes

Interesting gimmick but I prefer to cycle through high-res scans of paintings for those rare times the TV is on while I’m not watching anything.

2 Likes

Complain complain. I think it’s awesome.

4 Likes

I swear that in the early days of HD TV there was a real life version of The Scenery Channel – I remember a channel that mostly seemed to show aerial video of Scotland or Hawaii or what not to demonstrate how awesome HD resolution was.

1 Like

You didn’t accidentally have the feed from a CIA satellite, did you?

2 Likes

Would be sweet to have a ghost screensaver to creep out your guests.

3 Likes

There was The Landscape Channel even before that, back in the late 80s/early 90s. Same thing, and super good when you were high.

2 Likes