Model of Ancient Rome fills room

My brother got kicked out of the architecture program and became a city planner instead. He plans bus routes now in a major metropolitan city. My SO jokes that he’s a bus driver.

2 Likes

We did three-dee scan the thing, over ten years ago: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/rome-reborn-157825055/

4 Likes

Mussolini was trying to turn Italy into a new Roman empire. He moved the capital from Naples to Rome and set off a building boom including a lot of god awful concrete block architecture. He took the fasces, a bundle of sticks with an axe centered in them, the old Roman symbol for the power of the state to punish the individual, as his party’s emblem. Yes, he was a Fascist-TM, despite recent propaganda. He glorified war and suppressed the workers, but he kept the business interests in place by setting prices and terms of business. He was a real goon, and even the Italians were more than ready to say good riddance.

2 Likes

Has anybody tried doing this with it yet?

8 Likes

The cinematographer, Vittorio Storaro, used that same model in the documentary about his cinema craft called “Writing with Light”.

Came to post a reference to this. It would be amazing to have this all in one piece.

Don’t mess with city planners. They fly planes into skyscrapers.

You’d think they would miss- knowing where they are an all.

I don’t know what it is, but something makes me want to install a working scale mag-lev or HSST-type train line in it.

Difficult, but pithy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.