Modeling with plastic sprues

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/14/modeling-with-plastic-sprues.html

5 Likes

When I was about 11 I saw Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, and started taking the “sprues” from my Zoids, cutting them up, and taping or gluing them back together to make post-apocalyptic vehicles for my GI Joe figures.

11 Likes

The Borg cube ship was apparently made of hundreds of sprue-trees.borg

18 Likes

Ooo! I get to be the first to point out that they’re “runners” or “trees”, not “sprues”!

(The sprue is the place where plastic is injected into the mold)

9 Likes

Not to mention the Pompidou Center in Paris:

10 Likes

The Pompidou Centre is made from the sprues (trees, runners) left over after they popped the Lloyd’s Building parts out of its frames as they assembled it.
lloyds

10 Likes

This year I made a personal New Year resolution to try a number of new hobbies (especially hobbies that don’t involve sitting in front of a computer). I’ve been thinking I might try out model building/painting and this video has re-inspired me to give it a shot.

6 Likes

I’m not usually a interweb-meme-copypaster but I’ll make an exception…

10 Likes

Sure. If you want.

While you were napping, language evolved. Deal with it :+1:

2 Likes

when my nephew was a teenager he made action figures from sprues and plastic clothes hangers. He would melt down the plastic with a torch. He would then cast the plastic into relief moulds he made in clay with foil impressed into the finished mould . The moulds were made with dental pick like tools, all without any measuring or plan, and many were required to make one figure. When assembled and painted, they looked like they came out of a factory in Japan.

2 Likes

That’s impressive on a few different levels. Like the YouTube guy showing ancient survival/crafting techniques, but focused on action figures instead of flint tools.

1 Like

ya, he is adept at many crafts and can draw and paint…many years ago I got him a table at a local comic con…he used to do a lot of fantasy drawing and clay modelling (he used to make dragons with scales made from tiny balls of clay, one per scale). He wouldn’t go, has an aversion to monetizing his hobby . No aversion to carrying around a portfolio to show to women, though :slight_smile: Now he mostly does fantasy dioramas

1 Like

I’ve dabbled in modeling and painting for D&D sorts of things but was never more than an enthusiastic amateur. Seeing the folks who excelled at it was always impressive. I may have to dig out my stuff and get back to dabbling!

1 Like

good for the soul, I’m sure. I had a friend in the '70s who transitioned from “toy soldiers” (I’m sure that term doesn’t capture what that pursuit is all about, but I don’t know a preferred term) to the then newish D&D. He had a pretty impressive collection of the former and was building a collection of the latter…blew me away.

1 Like

I’m familiar with the soldiers, though I don’t know a proper term aside from “toy soldiers.” That’s a good enough one for me. I’m wondering what 30 years away from the hobby has done to my hand steadiness…I’m anticipating some less-than-stellar knights and orcs in my future.

1 Like

my brother in law, who has now passed away, came back to modelling when he retired. He found good magnification made it easier to steady his hands . Something about feedback ?? He got one of those magnifying lenses on an articulated arm, with a fluorescent tube surrounding the lens.

1 Like

I recently just got back into models after many decades off. It’s a nice technical and artistic outlet to dissappear into for a while.

Like many hobbies, It’s also an efficient method to empty the bank account :wink:

4 Likes

Worth a shot. Thanks for the idea, and to your nephew for the inspiration!

1 Like

100%. Get yourself a head-mounted magnifier (sometimes called an opti-visor). They are life changing for small work like modeling and surface-mount electronics. You’ll be amazed at how steady your hands can be, even north of 40.

2 Likes

Well, thanks to COVID I barely leave the house these days, so might as well spend some money on something

2 Likes