Moderating the internet is traumatic

It’s a good article, and raises up a good subject about the people who absorb the blows from crappiest parts of humanity to protect the rest of us.

I met a female former cop when I was on vacation who shared the incident that led to her last day on the job. It involved a heroin addict and an infant, and the cop beating the living crap out of the junkie. Her description of what she saw was so profoundly disturbing that I never repeat the story in full. And it is one of the few times where I thought someone treating another person the way she did was a completely appropriate response and the exact way I would have handled it.

For the people who have to witness these horrors, thank you.

6 Likes

Yeah child violence is one of the strongest cultural taboos there is, and for good reason, I think.

If we do not physically protect the children, we are lost.

Mental protection is another matter entirely.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I felt like all these chemicals and hormones reconfigured my whole emotional makeup. Before I was so logical, now I’ll cry at the commercials I thought were sappy. I am fiercely protective of children and it is a completely visceral response.

The woman I met did go to trial and got off. She was at the time I met her serving as a federal marshal after many years at LAPD. One of the awful things about being one of the first women cops on duty was that she was thought to be good with women’s and children’s issues and so saw all the horror show domestic things that now they know to limit people’s exposure to in order to protect their mental health.

5 Likes

Minor quibble. YouTube is nowhere near “fledgling” level.

Minor Quibble-- @wrecksdart didn’tt read the linked article, which describes Youtube’s practices in 2006.

3 Likes

Got me. I instapapered it for the train ride home.

However, I’ll note that in April, 2007, it was estimated that YT consumed the same amount of bandwidth as the entire internet did in 2000. Also, in 2006, YT was the fifth most popular site on the internet, according to Alexa, serving over 100 million page views a day in July '06. Granted, the company was founded in 2005, and plenty of high-capacity startups failed, but “fledgling”? Yes yes yes, even fledglings can fly high. Still don’t like it.

Also, I’m related to Percival Dunwoody, and I just wrote that in 2004. HA! Take that, Quibble!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.