Moderation Flag changes, and TL4 promotions

I know a Stefan B. Did yours like Spider Jerusalem too? :thinking:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t put it past him, but I think by the time Transmetropolitan came out his comic book days were more or less a thing of the past.
Anyway, mine could be described as a (formerly sandy-haired) bald version of Rob Beschizza.

6 Likes

Congratulations to our two newest Leaders: @anon75430791 and @ficuswhisperer!

18 Likes

Great choices! Congrats!

12 Likes

I know I have been … erratic … in the recent past and I apologize for that but I wanted to say that @orenwolf’s assistance in coming up with sane flagging strategies on a mature community – remember that BBS is the oldest and most established Discourse instance out there in the whole world – has been invaluable.

If you can’t trust me, I don’t blame you, but please trust @orenwolf who is not only Canadian and thus genetically required to be super nice, eh, but also represents an essential (critical even!) midpoint between “site owners” and “community”. :pray:

:mega: as a disclaimer, I have not, and do NOT exercise any moderator abilities here other than handling obvious spam flags and being a software tech support janitor. All actual moderation decisions are handled by @orenwolf and his team.

13 Likes

Congratulations to our newest batch of Leaders: @alahmnat, @FGD135, @milliefink, and @gracchus!

18 Likes

george-bello-clap

12 Likes

Thank you very much for granting me new opportunities to contribute to this community and help you out. I will follow the examples of you and the other Leaders and use my new privileges with great care.

13 Likes

Love to see communities that become (to the extent permissible) self governing! Congratulations all! :raised_hands:

As you gain experience with the shiny new tools, please do keep the feedback coming. Let us know if there is anything we can do to make communities more hospitable and sustainable over time, and especially to make your life easier as community moderators.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

As this is sort of becoming an annual tradition, I’ve taken some time to crunch the numbers to find our next set of TL4 leaders. These are individuals who flag often (and helpfully, that their flags result in actions being taken), are rarely legitimately flagged themselves, and have been a part of the BBS long enough to show a commitment to upholding our community standards.

As a recap, our existing leaders can be found here:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/g/trust_level_4

This round, I’m excited to add @IronEdithKidd, @navarro, @PsiPhiGrrrl and @teknocholer to our group of leaders!

To all the Leaders (and indeed, to everyone who tries to contribute in a positive way to the BBS), thank you. Moderating a forum this size would be immensely more difficult without your support, and visiting the BBS would be much less enjoyable without your contributions. Thank you!

34 Likes

i am both humbled and pleased to have been granted this level of responsibility. this is one of my favorite places on the internet primarily because of the high level of civility and intelligence of the conversations here. i haven’t been on as much over the past six months or so because of my cancer diagnosis and treatment but i’ve recently started to participate more as my health and energy have returned. i will do my best to uphold the high standards which make this such a great place. thank you.

30 Likes

All excellent choices!

Eugene Levy Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

22 Likes

19 Likes

A fine bunch of mutants indeed!

23 Likes

I couldn’t help but notice that the number of TL3 (Regular) members dropped from 102 to 88 overnight. Is this just removing Discourse Staff who are no longer active or was there some kind of purge?

1 Like

It is possible to lose TL3 if you’re not active enough. There are minimum thresholds of activity to maintain TL3 status:

https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/#trust-level-3--regular

6 Likes

It’s usually just a couple of additions/removals per week, so I was surprised to see such a big change overnight.

(I like to check the list once in a while because there are people I’m rooting for.)