Moebius's photo reference

Hey HMS Goose - I love Solomon the monitor. Do you have any sort of illustration page online?

Very kind of you. Alas, being a web dev by trade and a fool by nature, all my efforts to put up a personal website are mired in ambitions to handrolling overly-complicated interfaces for it…

1 Like

Tumblr? Or just set up your own blog and keep it simple. shrug

Though honestly, back when i was regularly drawing putting up my art online always made me paranoid. I have a few friends that do art and drawing for a living and they are constantly having their art swiped and being passed off by someone else as their own.

Oh yeah, I know his work from Death Rattle. More high praise, as I love that Severin-y style, which I’ve gravitated to in my genre work. Thank you!

1 Like

I just took a stroll through your DeviantArt and really enjoyed it. I love your cover recreations - especially the EC ones, but really all of them. I guess that’s a bit of a backhanded compliment since you are recreating other artists’ work, but your inking makes them great.

That was the time when I was really into comics, back when they cost 20¢ to 75¢ apiece or so, so those covers really resonate with me. I worked at a department store in Kingston NY in 1978-1980 with a guy who was dating Joe Sinnot’s daughter (I don’t know if Joe had more than one) and Jim and I went to the first big comic convention in Albany NY together. I stupidly never asked for an introduction to Sinnot. He seemed like a really busy man and I didn’t want to go to his house and bother him.

Some of your earlier original work reminds me a little of Keno Don Rosa’s early work on the old RBCC. I don’t know if you’re familiar with that 'zine or work though. He’s deservedly famous for his duck comics these days.

I never worked hard enough to draw anything worth looking at, and these days arthritis and and nerve damage make my hands worthless. It was great looking at your stuff, though.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much for checking out my DA gallery! I’ve been doing the cover recreations for about 4 years (once I saw others were doing them - it never occurred to me before that). They serve several purposes:

• They’re GREAT inking practice
  • They are SUPER FUN to do (even the logos & trade dress! I’m weird.)
  • They are good ‘palate cleansers’ in between my ‘original’ illustrations
  • They look really cool on the wall later

I collected Marvel/DC books from the late 70s until about 2005, but the 15-75 cent era is where my favorites (and favorite covers) came from as well.

I met Joe Sinnott once at the San Diego con, and he seemed like a really nice man.

Thanks again!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.