Stunning side-by-side Disney clips show exact same movement sequences from different movies

Originally published at: Stunning side-by-side Disney clips show exact same movement sequences from different movies | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Uh, this has been noticed for years and years, probably decades.

45 Likes

The thing I love most about this topic is how Boing Boing periodically recycles it in much the same way that Disney recycles animation from prior movies.

66 Likes

goundhogday_again

32 Likes

I knew I had seen a similar set of clips, but using different scenes from Disney movies. Like BB itself, I had forgotten this is where I’d seen them…

I’m always fascinated by the cyclical nature of the internet’s attention, where an old story will suddenly get noticed for the first time by relatively low-viewer-number blogs and social media users, it gets the attention of those with more readers/followers, goes viral and ends up working its way up to sites like BB who had previously covered it, often with the same person re-posting the story. This case is a bit different, as the original videos appear to have been taken offline, so at least it’s new content covering the same rediscovery.

8 Likes

It’s a legitimately interesting topic for me so I don’t mind seeing the internet “re-discover” it now and again, I’m just amused when people treat it as a new revelation. Animation takes a lot of work, so artists and studios have sought shortcuts since the dawn of the industry! Even the highest-budget CGI feature films today use similar shortcuts by adapting a single character rig into a large number of different supporting characters. It’s why most of the human characters in Shrek look and move basically the same, or why all but the four most prominent dogs in Up look and move basically the same.

Probably happens with all kinds of topics, I just always notice when this one pops up here because I’m an animation fan and a BBS reader with a long memory.

20 Likes

Hey, there’s nothing shameful about doing a little recycling now and then.

12 Likes

Definitely not new. This has been discussed elsewhere for years. For example:

3 Likes

rolls dice

ASTONISHING

Cool. There’s the hyperbolic word that can be used for the headline in a couple years when we get this story again!

2 Likes

Nice!

high five kitty

9 Likes

Suddenly people realize Disney has a thing called the Morgue that has many sequences available to study by animators and will re-use to save time and money.

They also used film references too.

These practices used well are fine.

If you want an example of this sort of thing being used badly look over the history of Filmation.

8 Likes

You beat me to it. Animation is a labor intensive art form.

People never stop to consider that they are seeing 30 minutely different drawings (or renderings, if it’s CG) per every 1 second.

That’s a fuck LOT of drawings.

15 Likes

FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: Watch Disney recycle it’s own animation!

8 Likes

There’s a great bit in a Ghibli doc I saw a while ago of Miyzaki and an illustrator going over some prototyped action sequences for, I think Chihiro in Spirited Away, going back and forth about how to express that character in the motions. I’m going to guess they don’t do a whole lot of this.

1 Like

Usually 24fps for 2D animation but yeah, still a helluva lot of drawings.

6 Likes

We did 30fps for everything in grad school, but yeah; still hella labor intensive.

8 Likes

yeah, scandalous, but have you heard about this thing called the Haunted Mansion? or their seekrit “Member’s Only” club??

3 Likes

So how does this work?
@LurkingGrue said there is a Morgue to reference, but is it filled with wireframe type animations that an illustrator then takes and fills in with that movie’s character and background? The sequences play out identically, and even this shortcut must take a lot of time and effort.

Hey kids, this was done by hand, no computers.

5 Likes

Well, since they already invested the film and time in rotoscoping live actors, they should get some value out of re-using that.

4 Likes