Moebius's photo reference

Including, “Why are her vital organs so small?” and “How the hell does she stand like that?”
That is an icky spine shape. Perhaps she’s part wasp?

4 Likes

Moobs of Doom!

1 Like

1 Like
4 Likes

I do a WHOLE lot of stuff where I’ll photoshop together several things together into a collage, and then use that as my master for creating a stencil.

This piece, for example, I used different source photos for the arm, robe, staff, lantern, face, and beard. Once they’re all together, though, it’s something completely coherent and original.

5 Likes

I don’t understand how he got work.

1 Like

If you think back to 80’s style- his work makes perfect sense…

3 Likes

Wally Wood had this over his work table: “Never draw what you can swipe. Never swipe what you can trace. Never trace what you can photocopy. Never photocopy what you can clip out and paste down.”

I printed out a copy and kept it over my desk at work. Even though the credo is the exact opposite of how I used to think about art, it was super appropriate to the graphic design I was engaged in. And I can confirm that the modern equivalent of the image morgue is google…

5 Likes

it’s almost like he’s trying to be the Botero of comics…

1 Like

Back when he was the hot thing in comics art I used to just roll my eyes at his totally wrong sense of anatomy.
As I stated above he would draw legs with 2 knees or 2 ankles or well one more bend than there should be, hands that would make Trump’s tiny hands look big, guns that would magically change size from panel to panel. I never got why people thought he was all that great.

2 Likes

Thanks for your post. Wally Wood was one of the greatest comic artists who ever lived, and died tragically. Comics is a brutal way to make a living, then and now, but was worse back then in many ways. As you hint at, Wood’s credo is just survival skills in a business that paid absolute crap, on tight deadlines, and gave so little to guys who gave us so much skill and beauty. When people call “cheating,” I’d just ask them to try creating a comic book in a month. Just one comic, one month. They’d soon discover why such “cheating” is necessary.

From Wikipedia, about Wally Wood:

For much of his adult life, Wood suffered from chronic, unexplainable headaches. In the 1970s, following bouts with alcoholism, Wood suffered from kidney failure.[4] A stroke in 1978 caused a loss of vision in one eye.[4] Faced with declining health and career prospects, he committed suicide by gunshot in Los Angeles three years later.[4] Toward the end of his life, an embittered Wood would say, according to one biography, “If I had it all to do over again, I’d cut off my hands.”

3 Likes

I “got” a belly full of it back in the '90s, thanks! :grinning:

Y’all, you’ve seen the recent “Storyboard” app?

I’m quite sure there will be interesting stuff to come out of this. Especially when it comes to glitches.

I’m curious what would happen if you try to convert an anime screener. Hell, I might want to try this out…

1 Like

I agree that those make fun semi fumetti. Your drawings also remind me of Jack “Jaxon” Jackson, the underground comic artist from Texas, but yours aren’t as noodly (?). Or maybe John and Marie Severin’s work, in their prime.

https://www.google.com/search?q=los+tejanos+comic+art+jaxon&tbm=isch

Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Photo reference and tracing are like everything, it can be good and useful, or it can be too much.
I think sketching photo reference is a great way too learn and progress (especially if you don’t have access to a nude model class).

Adam Warren do it a lot :

But I have to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of art made by tracing. But it’s a personal taste, I like more stylised drawings.

4 Likes

Drawing nude models was one of the most helpful and enlightening art classes I’ve ever taken. Especially doing quick poses, where you have a big drawing pad and some charcoal and the model moves every thirty seconds or so. It’s an amazing crash course in studying form and shape and learning how to capture it on paper.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s the best ! And if you have models with different body types it’s even better.

3 Likes

well, not exactly the same thing, but i did see a smudge on my stove that was a prefect model for a mouse dragon perched on a craggy outcropping…

and I had just gotten back from the zoo when I drew Solomon the Monitor…

13 Likes

Got bogged down in reading the thread last night and completely forgot what I came to post
Believe it or not I found these pics separately while internet surfing. I saw the drawing first. A few years later, I saw the photo and realized why it looked familiar.

BUT the reason I saved the illo was probably guessed by any cyclists already. At the merest glance, the bike is obviously fixed-gear. The whole thing screams “hipster machine” anyhow, which implies fixie, but not everyone gets that, I’ll grant. The obvious part is the total absence of shifters, brakes, or any cables to operate them, plus you can SEE the chain looping around the rear cog without dipping down into a derailleur. The illustrator didn’t get any of this, even after probably hours of analyzing the reference while drawing it. So, he went out and found another reference of a rear derailleur which he added in to make it “right.” He even drew in a cable that goes nowhere.
The mind boggles.

7 Likes

Tenacity, and for his lack of anatomy accuracy and consistency, he isn’t a bad storyteller. I mean there are many better IMO, but he got his early work from taking some risks and having a dynamic style.

Where he cemented his fame was New Mutants, which at the time was one of if not the lowest selling Marvel Title. This is where he was able to eventually take creative control of the series and introduced Cable and Deadpool among others. This series morphed into X-Force which when it came out broke sales records.

For me, it was the style and the fact that if this guy can make it, so could I. The difference is he could make mistake and both he and the audience would go with it, and I’d just destroy what I did, haha.

I remember when he took a break one time, I thought he would go back and get some drawing classes at a Juco or something. Honestly, I am a big dismayed he hasn’t seemed to progress. One would thing he would get better at drawing, but keep his style as time went on, but that didn’t seem to happen. I think eventually the newness of his style wore off and then became annoying.

1 Like