Moebius's photo reference

Thanks for the WSJ video. I loved watching the process.

1 Like

Ohhh, thank you for the high praise! I love Corben’s work.

3 Likes

My biggest issue, among the many, is that he apparently viewed human anatomy as a series of bubbles, like somewhat deflated marshmallow men.

1 Like

Come on! It’s not like I’m defending Rob Liefeld here! :grinning:

2 Likes

You mean this paragon of art?

You just don’t “get” his art, man.

3 Likes

That was my next observation. In fairness a lot of comic artists ascribed to the bubbles and basic shapes method of sketching out a character. Liefeld however did it without seeming to have any concept of proper anatomy.

3 Likes

Oh, for f… :grimacing:

3 Likes

4 Likes

I can only use a foil, or a pen, with my right hand. :smirk:

2 Likes

Not to be used upon my person with violence i hope :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m sure there is a Sharpie joke going begging, but nah, you’re fine. :+1:

3 Likes

It’s not cheating but it can be a personal bummer for the artist who is utterly reliant on it having to sift through photo after photo just to get anything done. Moebius wasn’t reliant on it. I sure was. I don’t think I am now.

4 Likes

I took a life drawing class for fun at the KC Art Institute and he was in it. His work was amazing and realistic, nothing like the more cartoony comic stuff. He still lives around here somewhere, but never comes to cons.

2 Likes

very cool! reminds me of when I realized all the vehicles on Futurama were done the same way except via CG. it only took a moment’s thought to realize how handy of a tool it was.

ETA I don’t know if these two were photographed or if Wood painted them from life (I assume life?) but this is a fun pic to look at

american gothic models

this was a fun thread

6 Likes

I agree that the examples above aren’t “cheating,” but I’m trying to decide how to feel about some of the examples created with Adobe’s new AI-driven “Project Puppetron” software than can instantly and impressively convert a source photo into any number of hand-drawn or painted styles based on what reference material you feed it:

1 Like

That lady has no pants. Why can’t she have pants?

3 Likes

Because Rob Liefield.

3 Likes

I appreciate Liefeld for showing me how to do anatomy wrong, so I don’t make the same mistakes. (I make different mistakes to compensate. :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

But… NO ONE STANDS LIKE THAT!!! Does she have no spine, in addition to not having pants?

so many questions!

4 Likes

She’s a nudist and naked, except for the cyborg parts. Don’t shun her life style choice :wink:

The answer is, “Rob Liefeld can’t draw.” He is 90% style, and 10% knowing how stuff works.

But don’t think he just draws women poorly, I think his is the worst example I have seen of his stuff.

ETA - ^^ This previewed for me - is it not showing up?

If anyone wants to see more of his work, I think I still have my X-Force run, and his early image stuff. I would sell them cheap.