Oil painter's prize-winning canvases look an awful lot like these photos

Originally published at: Oil painter's prize-winning canvases look an awful lot like these photos | Boing Boing

6 Likes

He’s certainly a competent paint technician, oils don’t arrange themselves to match photographs; but ‘artist’ looks to be a bit of a stretch based on this dataset.

13 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t bet much he painted it himself. They have the same technique as Chinese on-demand oil painters, a certain workmanlike excellence lacking in flair or distinction. Turnaround is about a month from getting your digital painting.

19 Likes

Maybe Dieschcanoe could try taking his own reference photos?

20 Likes

I feel the “douche” jokes a bit too obvious.

How about Roy Luxembourg.

18 Likes

Christ, what a Dieschbag.

20 Likes

Guy’s got an intensely-punchable face to match his personality, too

3 Likes

Another one for the swipe files, except that Jeff Dieschburg is not a comic book artist or SF/fantasy illustrator with a looming deadline.

6 Likes

I wonder what this guy wants for Christmas?

1 Like

Could have at least said *yoink first.

18 Likes

When confronted by others about copyright infringement, he sends me an email statement, tells me that as a figurative painter it’s obvious that he needs reference materials.

Yes, that’s why you take your own reference photographs. Take it from me, a painter.

39 Likes

Absolutely. There’s inspiration and reference, and then there’s blatant theft. This dude’s a thief.

22 Likes

And he’s from Luxembourg. I know it’s a hasty take, but if anyone is likely to have enough money to pay a model, it’s a Luxembourgian. At least half the population makes more than 50k euro a year.

16 Likes

Or anybody with the money to pay a third party to paint their pictures… :smirk:

17 Likes

Polite Word

25 Likes

The client fired the ad agency over this major provenance/reference foul-up:

27 Likes

Obviously. That guy on the right is way overcooked.

Compared to the guy on the Right, who is on the left.

39 Likes

“I can’t stand that an exceptional talent is being persecuted for nonsense,”

I am so, so sick of this “reality isn’t real, you’re crazy and unreasonable for mentioning the incredibly obvious thing right in front of your face” gaslighting.

26 Likes

as a figurative painter it’s obvious that he needs reference materials.

Yeah, but you need to get your own model to pose, take a photo reference yourself.

I drew from photographs in college, usually from magazines, but that was in class to learn, not to sell or enter a contest.

Yeah, commercial artists often had whole binder of swipe files to pull from when in a pinch. It still happens in comics from time to time, but less so than in the past.

6 Likes

This is stuff students do the learn techniques, but the second you start earning money, you need to stop stealing other people’s talents, including composition. Real artists may have swipe files for details, but they don’t steal entire compositions.

14 Likes