"Mokapzu Park" hilariously recreates a dying planet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/14/mokapzu-park-hilariously-recreates-a-dying-planet.html

4 Likes

Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park - Think If You Should

Also, this would make a fun open-world game, perhaps a sythetic-bio themed sandbox a la Minecraft. Or like Spore, but without sucking.

9 Likes

7 Likes

It’s a very worthy, but very difficult thing to tell stories that inspire people to face their role in the anthropocene. I think that’s the point of this film, to underscore the hubris of our species and a doomed attempt to recreate what we have destroyed. But I think the film is content to just set up a sad joke, rather than really make us think about our participation in creating Mokapzu Park. Are there other films you have seen that you thought closed the circle better?

I imagine this was their inspiration:

1 Like

Yes, the passengers of WALL·E are one of the most pointed critiques of Western culture I’ve seen in a mainstream animated film.

2 Likes

Hilariously? I find it terribly sad, all that sweet green icing flowing down. I don’t think that I can take it.

What’s that?

Oh.

Never mind.

2 Likes

It’ll be all right. Unless you lose the recipe.

1 Like

Awww, spore wasn’t so bad.

Oh… Upon replaying, it is.

2 Likes

“Ooh, ahh. That’s how it always starts but then later there’s running and screaming.”

2 Likes

I suppose I might be able to find some humor in a dying planet…

…if I had some other planet to live in after the punch line.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.