Mold hard boiled eggs into a bunny and a bear cub

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/29/mold-hard-boiled-eggs-into-a-b.html

1 Like

Do people still do that saline injection thing? you could do that and put half of one of these over top…

2 Likes

The recipe for the sauce is in the video. It is Tonkatsu sauce, ketchup, and mayo.

1 Like

DELICIOUS KEWPIE MAYO. mmmmm. I keep forgetting to buy some. No time like the present!

1 Like

It won’t seem so cute after li’l Betty digs in to the pet rabbit with a fork or is mauled by a bear after getting soy sauce in its eyes.

5 Likes

the horror

4 Likes

of it all…

3 Likes

Who boils an egg for 12 mins

1 Like

I misread that as “Mold and hard boiled eggs…”

2 Likes

Dig in Kids! SAVOR their featureless YELLOWGREEN BRAINS!

3 Likes

ok. very cute. Bought a couple for my wife, who likes to make hard-boiled eggs, as a silly little novelty gift. It’s shipping from Asia, though, so the delivery estimate is around 4 weeks give or take.

1 Like

When I was a kid my mother had a mold that would shape hard boiled eggs into a cube. I’m surprised no one thought of this sooner.

1 Like

Maybe it takes that long for the heat to go through the silicone (I assume) mold? I imagine it would be a fair to middling insulator.

1 Like

Errr…
The boiling part is done without the plastic.

1 Like

I can think of some other shapes that would be a hit.

1 Like

Looks like they added the eggs to cold water then brought it to a boil, which keeps the eggs from cracking. They turn the heat down after the water comes to a boil, so they’re actually simmering the eggs. The lower heat keeps the yolks from turning green.

2 Likes

I wonder if this works with century eggs.

1 Like

decomposing zombie bunny/bear! great for halloween!

2 Likes

Oh. I assumed you put the egg in the mold before you boil it. It didn’t occur to me that you could mold a hot hard-boiled egg. Last time I assume something (yeah, right).

I wonder if it would work for a hundred-year-old egg?

Edit: @ficuswhisperer beat me to it, like two hours ago. Well, I assumed I was first. That’s absolutely the last time I assume something.

2 Likes

The sauce is listed in the video.

Is it acceptable to tell Boing Boing to RTFA?

1 Like