Molly Ringwald's brilliant essay about John Hughes is a superb exploration of what it means to love "problematic" art

Which is true. It was more blatantly comedic that the studios went for 16 candles over Breakfast club was that "it had more in common with Porky’s et al In Form. My point was that in as much as it was closer to Porkys than Breakfast Club, it was still light years away from it in comparison. It was not written by men for boys. And yes by today’s standards there is a lot of really creepy stuff going on.

1 Like

On the one hand, I doubt most of today’s teenagers are going to be interested in seeing Hughes’ movies. Though of course as others here pointed out, his influence echoes in today’s movies. On the other hand, and I don’t mean this to be harsh, but I think you’re underestimating the critical abilities of teenagers. They’re inexperienced, but they’re not stupid. And we’re not talking about young kids than can be inculcated in the Jesuit sense. My personal approach would be to trust teenagers to think for themselves and offer guidance, because if you try to shelter them from something, it only fuels their curiosity while potentially making them less trusting of those that want to shelter them.

11 Likes

Not necessarily; there was a huge backlash from the younger generation (as well as Gen Xers) when there was talk about remaking the Breakfast Club. There were all these tweets about how teens relate to Hughes’ movies more than most contemporary features targeted at their own specific demographic.

8 Likes

For some reason, reading this made me happy.

2 Likes

Interesting. I figured it would be ancient history to kids today. Shows how out of touch I am. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Mindysan, I can’t place yer new avatar image, and is driving me up the wall, 'cos I feel like I should recognize it… pretty please a hintsie for me? (Or, you know, I can learn to live in disappointment. :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I’ve had the experience of joining some of today’s teenagers in watching some of the movies. They were mostly bored, in large part because what was so novel and groundbreaking 30 years ago is now common. Long Duk Dong and the rapey stuff definitely elicited some “WTF” reactions, but they also found the state of technology jarring. I think they found the discussion with the adults in the room during and after the screening more interesting than the films themselves.

7 Likes

10 Likes

There’s an excellent documentary about Hughes and his films called Dont You Forget About Me; it touches on the positive influence he did have on recent generations.

10 Likes

What will we do to become famous… and dandy?

2 Likes

YES!!! GODS Thank you! Was gonna drive me straight outta my tree.

5 Likes

she wasn’t in high school in 1995 … when she filmed “Malicious”

times change - inflicting the morality of today on the past never ends up politely.

2 Likes

Now that one I’m sure she does regret.

5 Likes

Not letting children watch these movies seems more than a wee bit histrionic to me.
Of course if you are the type of parent that let’s media do the education of morals and ethics to your children then I guess…but then you wouldn’t have this hang up in the first place.
Seems Molly has been doing way to much navel gazing in her middle age. It’s a tendency I’ve seen in myself and my gen x peers.

1 Like

I was a chubby poor sexually confused nerd when I saw The Breakfast Club. I saw it by myself because I didn’t have a whole lot in the way of friends at the time. I was feeling pretty hopeless and suicidal in the way that 14 years olds can be. I don’t really know what it was about it, but it brought me back from the brink and made me feel like things were going to be OK. I don’t think I’ve ever rewatched it, but I’m pretty sure the movie saved my life.

11 Likes

Umm her kid was 10 at the time… which I agree is a bit young for the film.
And thinking back on it there are parts of that movie that I would cringe at today but that ins’t to say it is all bad but just a product of the time.

It’s like when I watch the cheesy sci-fi from the 50’s and 60’s and they actually include a woman in the science crew who got her PHD in astrophysics or whatnot but she immediately makes coffee and sandwiches for all the men or gets gooey eyed and thinks maybe being a Suzy Homemaker is just fine after meeting Mr. Right at the end of the movie. That stuff nobody would have thought anything about at the time but in 2018 I just groan loudly at it. They are still the same goofy fun but parts don’t age so well which makes them kinda fun in other ways.

15 Likes

have never been proved to actually exist.

I apologize for the digression on a thread which has apparently already received some pruning.

1 Like

AAAAAMEN, Brother TobinL!

I’m going to have to hunt for the link now, but there was an Italian movie with REALLY COOL leather jumpsuits/astronaut costumes, but the token woman had to be helped to climb… the. …stairs. 3 whole steps, and she had to be helped up by her male co-worker who was built like a stick figure.

Planet of Vampires

I think I was a teen when I saw PIP, but the only part that made an impression was my lust for her Karmann-Ghia.

I much preferred ‘Better Off Dead’ because the love interest was a gearhead.

3 Likes

It’s not about critical thinking, though - it’s about normalizing. We get our cues about what’s acceptable behavior and appropriate responses from those around us - including films.

7 Likes

That’s a solid point. My approach would always be for young adults (and I do see teenagers as such) to chart their own course and provide the experience we have to help them navigate. But I do agree insofar as I wouldn’t go out my way to expose them to stuff I thought wouldn’t enrich their own experience.

4 Likes