Mom puts recorder in her daughter's backpack to record bullying, charge with felony

First it’s the cops who have a problem with body cams and the chance of being caught bullying/harassing people… and now this.

3 Likes

Um, what did I say that was “absolutely false”? I said it depended on the state. There are 12 states that require all parties to consent.

I confess I didn’t know the law of this specific state, but my statement is still correct.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiAoJL6idPXAhVJiFQKHWI9Ax4QFghAMAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mwl-law.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F03%2FLAWS-ON-RECORDING-CONVERSATIONS-CHART.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2a2PLGzkPaFv9IrIQAxl_4

6 Likes

Yep, built in mic is ignored if you have headphones dangling around your neck. Mine actually has an LCD that flashes “recording” and nobody’s ever noticed.

2 Likes

Exactly. I try to get on a jury as often as I can. I like courtroom procedure, and it’s a chance to have an effect. And I really like the concept of jury nullification, especially in cases like this.

4 Likes

What about those helicopter parents who strap a “watch” on their kid, which is a GPS tracker and they can remotely access the camera and microphone?

BTW, cops routinely try to use wiretap laws to restrict recording in a public place, and last I recall, there’s an appeals court circuit split if that’s valid.

3 Likes

There are many states where this would be completely legal. And it should be. The only reason to make it illegal to record a conversation you’re a part of is to protect malfeasors.

4 Likes

Fine question! Lets just see who tries to sue em first

3 Likes

Why do you say that “one kid covertly recording another in order to capture evidence” is wrong?

3 Likes

Maybe not right, but also not worthy of a prison sentence. It’s a good case for a slap on the wrist.

7 Likes

I need to get out of this dumb ass country. What is considered a felony is cruel and unusual.

3 Likes

Dogg, Virginia is the one where you can marry your cousin.

1 Like

INAL, but I don’t get it. Virginia is a one party consent state. As long as the daughter knew that the recording was happening, it doesn’t seem like it would run afoul of the laws being cited here.

Here’s the actual law that was supposedly violated:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title19.2/chapter6/section19.2-62/

4 Likes

Or be actively recruited into the LEO regiments.

2 Likes

The problem, I think, is that it’ll be recording conversations where the daughter isn’t a party.

1 Like

Yes, in certain circumstances. And not at all in others. If minors couldn’t give consent at all, every business transaction they do would be potentionally be void. Including spending their pocket money.

And in other cases their guardians can give consent, for example to have others amputate their foreskin or to have them vaccinated. Both include bodily harm that’s not an illegal attack because consent was given.

A kid carrying a running MP3 recorder all day will record lots of conversations they aren’t a party to.

2 Likes

Stereotypically, the offices of the highest-level management have mahogany paneling, desks, bookcases, etc., and are collectively referred to as “Mahogany Row.” I think it maybe originates from the US State Department where that was literally true, but I dunno.

1 Like

There is, in fact, a Norfolk WV (population: 429). And it’s now likely getting undue publicity due to Mark’s geographic slip.

2 Likes

I don’t believe in recording people without their consent. But the penalty is cruel in this case. I hope it gets thrown out and there is some leniency.

1 Like

“You have nothing to fear if you are not one of the bad guys”?

Seriously?

You know, I had to edit this post thrice before I could send it. Don’t even try to argue this. Just. Stop. Right. There.

2 Likes

For the record: