Mom puts recorder in her daughter's backpack to record bullying, charge with felony

What would those be? I would think that capturing actual evidence would be a good start. And commenters below are definitely correct: schools always do take these complaints seriously and they always follow through with appropriate action.

3 Likes

If this is in Norfolk VIRGINIA (ahem…) then it should be legal for one part to record another party without the second party’s knowledge. This is the law in Virginia. As long as the kid knew they were recording.
Now, if the school banned devices, then that’s a disciplinary problem, (but hardly a felony).

Sounds like either a) more to the story (eh…)
or b) over reactive school admin (bingo!!!)

4 Likes

Like I said. The bullying isn’t ok. Whomever ignored her and did not address it to her satisfaction (ie allowing it to continue) was wrong. But covertly recording other kids with a device is also wrong too.

I assume she at least was contacting the teacher. Did she contact the principal? The school psychologist? The social worker? Did the superintendent also ignore her? Did she talk to the school committee or PTA?

There are numerous avenues available to all parents of children in public schools to address issues. In my experience i have faced individuals who are unresponsive or avoid addressing an issue but not ALL of them. I hope she can get her child the help that is needed.

2 Likes

It’s not cheaper, per se, but it is far more profitable.

4 Likes

ne/er mind :frowning:

Eh, it is really more of a training exercise preparing them for the next 40-50 years of wage slaving for not enough money just to enjoy some tiny fleeting glimpse of the “American Dream”…

6 Likes

The name of my next album

WTF does it mean?

3 Likes

Depending on the state, any recording of parties with out their consent can be considered illegal.

This is one of those things though where it seems no one rational would prosecute.

1 Like

Absolutely false. In fact, whether or not it is legal to record someone’s a) voice and/or b) video image (for noncommercial use) without their knowledge varies wildly by state. In most, however, including Virginia, as long as ONE party present gives permission/is aware, that’s all that is necessary.

I’d guess the disapproving glares from those sitting at mahogany desks/tables. In other words, muckety-mucks.

5 Likes

Since the child presumably was aware and gave her permission, shouldn’t that make the action legal?

Exactly so. The school district here is going to take a fall. The only caveat is that she is a minor, but the relevant law doesn’t somehow criminalize that case.

What I’d say we have here, is the school administration is inviting a huge lawsuit, in their hamfisted attempts to avoid a smaller lawsuit ^^’.

3 Likes

Can a minor give legal consent?

Blog’s wrong. That’s the point.

Heh. Came here to say precisely that.

2 Likes

I doubt she’ll actually be procecuted here. Though the cost will still be high in several ways.
Also, every single day I’m reminded how glad I am that my wife and I do not have kids.

1 Like

right, but if the charge has to do with intercepting communications is this
one of those states?
At any rate the decision as to whether what she did was illegal in her
state has not be completely determned yet.

1 Like

I’m on board with the nullification.

As a second front, the parent needs to sue the school over the bullying and negligence involved with ignoring the bullying. This will either remedy the situation or garner her some money to fight the criminal lawsuit.

2 Likes

There IS a Norfolk West Va, but this story is in Virginia, plain. :wink:

http://wavy.com/2017/11/21/mom-charged-after-putting-recording-device-in-daughters-backpack/

4 Likes

Did you know there is a Norfolk West Va? Some 400 souls there.
But yeah,

3 Likes

Precisely!!

1 Like

Bullies aren’t about a winning record, they’re about no downside at all. I had a similar experience, make them pay at all and it stops.

The one time I did, I used the Sansa I had clipped to my belt, it has a built in mic. I recorded a city plumbing inspector saying he had no responsibility for the way a townhouse roof drain connects to the sewer system, even though the roof inspector had said HE had none. I recorded the inspector saying that since my building flooded from the work I should have gotten a better contractor but he was not going to fail the inspection. I recommend anyone dealing with officials of any kind record if at all possible. There are a number of apps for starting a recording on your phone without taking it from your pocket.

4 Likes