Mondrian painting hung upside-down for 75 years, mocking everyone who ever stood in front of it stroking their smug pretentious chins

DenseGleefulDutchshepherddog-size_restricted

7 Likes

This article was amended on 28 October 2022 because an earlier version misspelled Susanne Meyer-Büser’s surname in several places. This has been corrected.

Everything is wrong.

2 Likes

Okay so real question tho: does it matter? Having finally inverted the artwork, did anyone suddenly have a finer grasp of it? Did someone learn something new or gain any greater insight? Or was it just the same image and nothing significant changed…

2 Likes

I guess it depends on your point of view.

9 Likes

The Emperor’s New Fridge Drawing.

People can explain all they want about why they like a particular food, musical piece, movie, television series, work of art, etc. And while context may change my mind, it often does not. I get it: Maybe I missed the fact that “thus and such is an analogy for this and that” in the work, but that alone isn’t always enough to tip the scales. It may only lessen my dislike. Sometimes, that makes me think I’m not a clever enough monkey. Then I see stories like this one, and feel an ounce of vindication / validation.

Life is easier when you don’t waste time and energy worrying about what others think of you.

4 Likes

So now the gallery gets to install an inversion table, charge for it as a ticketed special experience you can buy with admission, and make a big profit from this, right?

1 Like

This painting is one of series of unfinished works by Piet Mondrian. It’s too fragile because the artist was using tapes, rather than paints to adjust the composition-- before presumably removing the tapes and replacing them with a final grid of perfectly placed interwoven stripes . It’s a real shame that it was hung upside down because it might have otherwise given visitors some more insight into how Mondrian composed his work.
New York City I

New York City II

New York City III

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.